Ginger Thomas Villa - St. John

Old Feb 28th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ginger Thomas Villa - St. John

My husband and I are going on a 'babymoon' 2nd week of April. I received feedback from this forum and was going to bite the bullet and book Caneel until I realized that food would be another $220/day! I just can't do it. I am starting to think it may be worth renting a villa (for a bit less than Caneel and super seclusion) and renting a car to explore. Has anyone stayed at the Ginger Thomas Villa? Thoughts?
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:54 PM

Caneel does not have to be that expensive....i stay on st john monthly for busienss at Gallows pOint Resort.
www.gallowspointresort.com

My advice is to stay away from expensive private villas like Ginger Thomas and check out villas from www.vivacations.com that has plenty of babymoon affordable villas on st john in Cruz Bay.

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:58 AM

Ginger Thomas looks lovely, but if you want a smaller and more economic place to stay, there are also small inns such as Garden By The Sea and Estate Lindholm, or if you are interested in renting a smaller condo/villa, you could look at offerings on sites like www.caribbeandays.com or www.caribbeanway.com where I've seen some good options. If you want super seclusion, Honeymoon Cottage seems to be a big favorite of the posters here. Good hunting.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:44 AM

Food at Caneel does not have to be that expensive, if you do not choose the meal plan.

Each morning, there is a free continental breakfast on the terrace with coffee, tea juice and an assortment of danish. Be sure to check on the time, so that you don't miss it.

For your largest meal, try choosing the lunch buffet @ $29/person. It is excellent. ( On their day sail, the Hyatt's Lady Lindsey brings their guest for this.) In addition to a huge array of salads, and all of the fixings, two soups, one hot and the other cold, there is a plentiful assortment of hot dishes, and a choice of items that will be grilled for you. Also included is a wonderful assortment of dsserts.

A complimentary afternoon tea, which include wonderful cookies and cakes is available daily. afterwords you can enjoy dinner at the beach terrace offer a full assortment of full plate entrees about $18 - $24/person.

This gives you the freedom to spluge for dinner, if you wish to dine at the Equator, or Turtle Bay Estate, where my bill with wine/drinks cost about $50 -$60/person.

You also may choose to dine in Cruz Bay, and enjoy fun shopping. Taxi $5/person.

For lunch, my favorites are the Lime Inn, about $7 - $12 dollars, (There is also an all you can eat lobster night), and Smokey Joe's Barbeque, where you will have your plate filled high with chicken, ribs or pork with slaw and potatoe salad.

Hope this helps

Whatever is your decision, you will enjoy your St. John stay.

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies! I got antsy and ended up booking Temptress villa for my husband and I. However, it is great to know these wonderful tips. Gallows Point looks very nice marbleheadguy - I envy you the once/month trip! From the sounds of it, we will definitely be back to take advantage of all of your lovely advice! Thanks again - I love this forum.