Search

Gifts for Cuban locals

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2004, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gifts for Cuban locals

Hi, can anyone give me a list of what you take to give to the locals, children, staff, etc. when you travel to Varadero. Thanks.
Kimbo
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 08:24 AM

My wife and I stayed at the Melia Varadero last February. Here is an extract of my trip report I posted upon our return.

As far as tipping, here is what we did. Before leaving Canada we went to the dollar store and purchased close to $100. on various items (toothbrushes, mirrors, lip stick, crayons, pencils, pads of paper, dolls, toy trucks, yoyos, bandages, mickey mouse bandages, creams, etc.) We also purchased postcards of Ontario and Ottawa area. Prior to leaving I went to Altavista.com translation site and had three different messages (thanking the housekeeper for keeping our room clean and tidy) translated and then printed on labels. Each morning we would put a label on a postcard and leave 3-4 items for the housekeeper. We would sign the postcard and put our room number just in case she was asked where the items came from. She really enjoyed the gifts we left her children. We had also purchased seeds (corn, tomato, onions, carrots, beans, flowers) at Ronas and left them as tips for the housekeeper and waiter. The seeds were well appreciated. In addition, we always left a dollar or two as a tip at dinner.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 09:10 AM

When my sister and I went in February to the Tryp Penninsula, my sister left a lot of baby clothes and toys (she has a little one, so she just brought the stuff he had grown out of) and she also brought soap and things like that. I left $1 per day for the maid, and at the end of the week, I left behind some of my shorts, skirts and shirts (good excuse to buy new clothes this summer, had none left!) and we geve some money to our fav bartender Fidel at the pool bar (if you go to this resort be sure to seek him out)
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi and thanks for the info. so far. I am making a list ... but I imagine the american dollar is now out - wonder what they will think of the loonie and the toonie???
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 11:52 AM

We visited Cuba in 1992 (quite a number of years ago) and we also left parting gifts for the woman that cleaned our rooms. At that time, we left most of our cosmetics and personal hygiene products behind as they were not readily available (or were exorbitant in cost) to the locals. I'm not sure if that is still the case but our experience was such that the following was really appreciated; shampoo, conditioner, underarm deodorant, nail polish/remover, hairsprays, feminine products (i.e. tampax), razors, flip flops, etc. We also left some clothing behind and some cash. Have a great trip - I am still trying to make my way back to beautiful Cuba.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:02 AM

As far at the us dollar, now what they are doing is either taking the Euro, or if you take Canadian, you change it for the convertable peso at the airport, which is worth the same as the us dollar
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 04:57 PM

Hi, and if leaving gifts for room staff during the week, leave a note that says "unas regalos para usted" (some gifts for you)...just helps make it clear that you are giving them this stuff, and so they don't get accused of taking something that is not theirs to take.
Going to Cayo Largo at the end of the month and have ready to pack, a small pile of cleaned clothes that were intended to go to Goodwill, but find that they are much more appreciated in Cuba. Took a pile of my husband's used Dockers the last time we were there, and the maid left us a note thanking us! She was so happy to get them and told me she passed them to family members who could fit them.

LissaJ - are you the Lissa who we met at the Iberostar Paraiso a few years ago?
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 04:58 AM

Hi, Nope, my name is actually Melissa, not LissaJ, that is just a nickname my dad gave me, and is about the only person who ever calls me that. Melissa was already taken when I signed up, so I just used that.
I have to say though, I wish I was at the Iberostar Parisio, I have heard it is amazing, and looks awsome!!!
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 05:16 PM

Hi Melissa, well you must try one of the Iberostars in that area then. Having stayed twice at RIU Yucatan, once at Iberostar Paraiso, once at Iberostar Cozumel and got married at Iberostar Quetzal, we can personally vouch for their awesomeness.
(naysayers can go on about boring buffets, blah, blah, but I find it amusing that the ai's on Mayan Riveria are packed all the time now - I recommended Iberostar Quetzal or Paraiso to a friend in the office for last week of November and they couldn't get in, all booked up..for off season time like November!).
Anyhow, the only thing about Paraiso, and this only applies if you are a scuba diver (which the Lisa I got you mixed up with, was) is that they truck you down to the Quetzal and you boat out from there which really adds to travel time. The beach is great but the water can be rough because there is nothing to break the waves..but the incredible pool makes up for it. The buffets are anything but boring, the specialty restaurants are great, and the rooms are the usual Iberstar quality, large, clean and comfortable - the shower stall is a walk in jobbie!
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 01:31 PM

Summer clothing that you have "outgrown", soap, toothpaste, hair accessories, nail polish, cosmetics, pens and pencils, chocolates for gifts. Don't give soap to maids as they can get it from the hotel. However, a bar of soap to some one who helps you with directions is appreciated. Cubans get one bar of soap per family per month.

American dollars are used as common currency, Canadian $ are not valued. A beer or soft drink costs $1 and a cocktail $2-3 so don't overtip if you are staying in an AI.

If you are going to Varadero, the part of town in the middle has very cheap and good food. The farther from the AI's the better. You can get a nice lunch for under $2. The fries and omelettes are to die for because they are cooked in animal fat (no vegetable oils in Cuba).
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 10:28 AM

We just returned Saturday the 20th from maritime costa verda near Holguin cuba and I assure you if you bring anything the people are most grateful, but I found the need for medicines such as baby aspirin, bandages,adult aspirin, hair shampoo, bar soap and any clothing...I brought womens underclothes (bras and nylons) and the woman acted as if I had given them gold, one woman explained that even with money to be used for personal things they just cannot get them. there is such a shortage of everything. We also brought paper, pens, pencils, calculators and brought them to the local school, but anything for doctors would be helpful as well, gauze, tape, splints whatever, we also brought jewellery pierced earrings and nail polish, combs,tooth paste and electrical tape and things for men, if you go to the dollar store you can load up , another thing they love to get (men) is cologne and yes the buck store has this too, as for your comment about the loonie and toonie we found that the bank would not take the loose Canadian change so I would be cautious of them accepting the change have a great time and bring whatever you have
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 03:46 PM

Are they taking american $ at all any more?
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies, many great suggestions here. I, too, am curious about the change in currency that happened this Oct. I imagine I'll find out more from our travel agent as trip times come closer.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 06:18 PM

Hi, just got back from the Sol in Cayo Largo.
On the question of currency - just bring Canadian dollars - everything is now in the Cuban pesos.
The front desk of the hotel will exchange for you - they will list the exchange on the Canadian dollars, the British pound and the Euro. There was absolutely no exchange rate listed for the U.S. dollar. All tips were given in the Cuban pesos on our resort and/or small gifts.
In Cayo Largo, it was $1 to .80 CUC. So for $100 Canadian, you will get $80 cuban pesos. Oh, and be very careful - the small 5 coin with the gold colour circle around nickel centre is actually 5 pesos not 5 cents! When you exchange some money they never seemed to have $1 pesos (for tipping). So you end up getting $3 bills. They are very relunctant to give the $3. and you're lucky if you get $5...it's mostly $10 and $20 you get..so it's almost shooting themselves in the foot because you don't want to be handing out $5 tips all the time. But when it's the only change you get you sometimes wonder if they don't expect it!
Was also very disappointed in the attitude this trip - previous two trips to Cuba, you would get the usual friendly service and courteous approach, and you wanted to tip at the end to show such good service.
This time, we had to lay out the big tips and the gifts ahead of time - then when we did the staff would be falling all over you.
One night in the specialty restaurant on the beach, 2 couples were throwing cash around as they had all ordered lobster dinners ($20 extra at this all-inclusive) and champagne. They were the only table in the entire place with a candle on the table, and then the staff was falling all over them..to the point of bringing out mosquito coils to place around their table (the wind had dropped that day, and the mosquitos in the open air restaurant were gruesome). Meantime, the rest of us who had booked that night got none of this and it only made the staff look stupid for falling over themselves to get the big tip, and the rest of us very angry to get barely any service.
Very disappointing but didn't let it ruin our holiday...beautiful weather, and a great break from the crowds!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 03:59 AM

I brought some peanut butter, chewing gum, small ketchup, etc. They appreciate everything they do not have there. And of course, all the toiletries especially cream for the hands and the face.

However, this morning the Cuban govt announced that it is now illegal for Cubans to accept gifts from foreigners and that all 'donations' must be reported to the govt. So be discreet and tell the recipients to be extra careful...

They have tremendous needs for simple things that we take for granted. Tums for ex. I gave two Tums to a lady complaining if stomach aches and she thanked me for the rest of the week.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 09:27 PM

We gave out some candy to some kids we met while taking a bus trip to the local town. Kids mobbed us until the Mothers made them line up and behave. Then we took out pencils and pens and were mobbed by the Moms. When giving out some crayons and chalk to some kids in the park, an adult came over to make sure the kids weren't in harm's way talking to strangers. She confiscated the crayons and chalk and explained to us that they needed them at the local school!

They need everything so we did some real bargain shopping at Goodwill type stores and took clothes, shoes, sample packs and dollar store nail polish and razors and other make-up and grooming items. Don't forget the medication for babies - they can't get Tylenol for fever.

Usually I take a second suitcase to bring back things I purchase on a trip. When going to Cuba I pack the second suitcase full of "give aways" and bring it back empty.

We found the Cuban staff preferred little gifts instead of cash because even with the cash there isn't much in the stores to buy. Once we offered a can of pop to our tour guide to drink, but he saved it as it had more value to him on the black market.

You can save the little hotel toiletries and give them out off the hotel grounds because the staff can't be found with them or they could lose their jobs.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 05:57 AM

President Castro has forbidden cubans to take gifts from tourists and visit their hotels. The AP release a statement to this effect just a couple days ago. I would be very carefull what you give Cubans. While your intention may be well intentioned, the consequences to Cubans may be far reaching.