Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Getting off mega cruise ship in St. Thomas, where to go? How?

Jan 12th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

I'm looking for a good day idea for St. Thomas. If nothing else, we'll probably end up at Megan's Bay. A great day would include snorkeling, swimming, sunning on a soft sand beach, and having some services available (beach bar, restrooms) without swarms of tourists and vendors.

We plan to get away from the ship as quickly as possible and are happy taking taxi or ferry to the right spot.

Maybe add your opinions on best quiet beach and best party beach as our mood may swing either way that day.
Jan 12th, 2014, 08:07 AM

Also check out Charlotte Amalie main street shopping. Megan's Bay is great.
Jan 12th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thoughts on Secret Harbour? I liked the tripadvisor reviews there better than most of the other St. Thomas beaches.
Jan 12th, 2014, 11:58 AM

Secret Harbor is a lovely spot and there is good snorkling there.Mega tourists off many mega ships is what STT is all about these days.Have been going to STT since 1972 and "ain't what it used to be"! More's the pity!!!However, the scenery is awesome, the beaches glorious and some prices are good if you are into shopping. Depends on where you dock if you can escape the crowds and get a cab but beware that cabs may be
somewhat scarce on return as they hustle all they can and seem to be reluctant to take only a couple of fares from anywhere but nearby the harbors
Jan 12th, 2014, 01:12 PM

LOL. I love it that you book on a megaship, but don't want to be with the crowd that they carry! ;-)

If you mean quiet...go to John Brewer's or Hull Bay. Best party beach would be Coki.

If you are on one of the Behemoth of the Seas ships, you will dock at Crown Bay. Consider Honeymoon Beach on Water Island or Lindbergh Bay.
Jan 12th, 2014, 02:05 PM

Don't know Honeymoon but skip Lindbergh..tacky/dirty (or was 1 year ago). No matter where you dock--Crown or Havensight you will be inundated by cruisers. Coki had some troubles awhile back but there may not be a problem now.Eastender must know what is up locally so maybe he/she will have more input (judging by the name!!)
Jan 12th, 2014, 02:32 PM

Sorry you had a bad experience at Lindbergh Bay. I think it is a decent beach. Best Western Emerald Beach and Island Beachcomber share that beach. However, there are nicer places to go. You would also hear the planes from the airport there.
Jan 12th, 2014, 06:36 PM

Go,to St. John absolutely beautiful!
Jan 13th, 2014, 12:49 PM

My local recommendations stand...;-)
Jan 14th, 2014, 06:11 AM
KVR

Check out the Ports of Call forum on Cruise Critic. Everything you'll ever need to now about cruising and ports:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133
Jan 15th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,

I did look at port reviews on cruise critic. Most weren't helpful just one-liners about whether they liked it or not. It helps to know what people did and didn't like so I can decide if it's important to me.

Shopping won't be a priority. Relaxing and snorkeling are the priorities. I don't need to be isolated, but a zoo isn't going to lend itself to either of my priorities.
Jan 15th, 2014, 10:25 AM

If you want a nice beach with lots of people and a good place to chill with a few drinks....Megans will work, but there is little to no snorkeling there...just sand. You'll run into plenty of cruise shippers there looking to party.

IMO, a better bet (if you want something a little more laid back) would be to take a taxi to Sapphire Beach, which is smaller, less crowded, and has some snorkeling. There is good shade there if needed under the sea grape trees, and a restaurant and bar on sight.

Personally I'd skip Coki....supposed to be great snorkeling there...trust, it's not that great...and it was packed. If you are looking to buy some weed...this is your beach...
Jan 15th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I looked at many reviews of Coki and decided it wasn't for me.

I should add a third priority, a calm soft sand beach for laying out (my wife's priority) plus maybe some decent chaise lounges, at a reasonable price, to keep the sand fleas off. My wife tends to like to spend most of the time laying out with occasional forays into the water. I like to get at least one or two good hours of snorkeling (or other water sport)in; otherwise I'm bored just hanging out on the beach.

I looked at Sapphire also but some of the reviews said the bathroom was a dive (okay, I've been to many beach bathrooms that were dives), the drink prices were sky high (not appealing), the few available chairs were dilapidated and expensive (not appealing second strike), currents can be a problem (I'm a strong swimmer but my wife is only adequate) and the beach wasn't clean (littered with seaweed and trash) - so we thought that may not be the best choice.
Jan 15th, 2014, 04:51 PM

If Secret Harbor is not your cup of tea take a cab out to The Ritz and have lunch and after use their beach or pool..lovely spot,decent prices at the pool bar/cafe and if you wear your suit and a cover up to doff easily without a change room you will enjoy it. We have often gone there from Cowpet condos for a change of scenery. Cab fare is dear however from town. Don't know about snorkling. BTW there are cabs at the Hotel for your return trip to the ship. Don't like Sapphire at all! don't be late for the ship and take into account the traffic. Have you given Frenchman's Reef a thought? It is closer to town.
Jan 16th, 2014, 03:35 AM

Maybe things have changed since I was at Sapphire about 5-6 years ago. The beach was not "littered with seaweed and trash" by any stretch...and the sand was white and soft. We got there first thing, had no issues with getting chairs that weren't "dilapidated or expensive"...unless $5 a chair is expensive? Currents?....I found none, and snorkeling all over the area.

I wish you luck finding a beach with nice clean bathrooms, cheap drinks, with perfect sand & chairs....hate to sound like Debbie downer, but you might not find that Utopia unless you stay on the ship.
Jan 16th, 2014, 04:23 AM

I recently spent one night at Frenchman's Reef. No beach there at all since it is on a bluff. Nice pool area though. Morningstar Beach at the property was just okay. It is basically around the corner from Charlotte Amalie harbor.
Jan 16th, 2014, 09:24 AM

Secret Harbour is a small beach and a fairly long cab ride from the cruise ship -- but it really does tick all of the boxes on your wish list. Look at pictures on google image search. St. John, of course, is the ideal but a little more trouble to get to and back.
Jan 16th, 2014, 09:55 AM

If it were me, I'd take the ferry to St. John, have lunch in Cruz bay then spend the day at Hawksnest.
Jan 16th, 2014, 12:30 PM

You just have to take into consideration the transit time involved in this adventure..S.H., despite the cab $ will probably be your best bet. I do know it is very nice..Nothing is cheap on STT except booze..
Jan 17th, 2014, 03:40 AM

My suggestion was based on (staying) on STT. I have to agree with Kristen though....a day spent on St John will pretty much trump anything that STT has to offer...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO