Getting Around St. John

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting Around St. John

I just booked a 6 night stay at Caneel Bay and I was wondering (being that a lot of people here on Fodors have stayed here) is it easy enough to say get a cab to go to other places for breakfast, lunch, or dinner? Also any suggestions where to eat, tours to do, etc.? Thank you, Susan
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 09:02 AM

I haven't stayed at Caneel so can't say for sure how easy it is to get a cab there, but if I were you I'd rent a jeep for at least a few days of your stay. There are places on the island worth visiting that most cabs won't go to--particularly the Coral Bay area.

Food on St. John is somewhat expensive by my standards (i.e. hard to spend less than $18pp for a dinner entree in most restaurants) but generally pretty good quality. Paradiso, Chateau Bordeaux and Asolare are all upscale (for St. John--dress is still relatively casual) and very good. Chateau Bordeaux and Asolare have fabulous views. Paradiso is one of the only restaurants on the island that has air-conditioning if you hit a really hot and humid day.

Stone Terrace, La Tapa and The Lime Inn are slightly less upscale but still very good. For a very casual lunch, the BBQ stand in downtown Cruz Bay is good (Uncle Joes's, I think). Have heard good things about Cafe Roma and Cafe Wahoo but we didn't have the chance to try either of these.

As far as activities go, definitely do a day sail to the Baths. We used the Stormy Petrel (can be booked through Connections in Cruz Bay) which was fabulous. The NPS-guided Reef Bay hike is interesting but we preferred the hike to Ram's Head, which is not guided (will need your own transportation to get to the trailhead). If you enjoy great snorkeling and you're a good swimmer, be sure to snorkel Waterlemon Cay.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Julie for the info. Do you know roughly how much those day tours are? I believe that renting a jeep per day is around $65? Just trying to get an idea of cost for things. I know I saw that Caneel Bay offers Jeep rentals through them, but I was still curious as to how hard/easy it is to catch cab from there for a bite to eat...
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 10:22 AM

Was on St. John for our honeymoon in '98. Not sure about accessibility to cabs from Caneel, but it is likely that some drivers will hang out near your hotel lobby, considering it is one of the few resorts on the island. If you are interested in seeing the island, you can catch a ride on a tour truck for a reasonable price from the middle of town and it will take you around the island with the driver stopping many times along the way and explaining the history, etc from the viewpoint of a local. We loved this!

Something that you must do if you snorkel is rent a diggy for a half or full day and take it along the shoreline. It is a beautiful way to see the island as a backdrop, experience the sealife (including turtles that will appear right in front of the boat), and make a stop at every beach along the national park side of the island. You even get great views of the BVIs. This was the absolute highlight of our honeymoon! I think we only paid $80 for a half-day and it was worth every penny. Packed our lunch, and took the boat right up to Trunk Bay and anchored it. Then went to Waterlemon Cay, which as the other poster said, is a can't miss. But be careful to stay in the warmer water, there are baracuda galore in the deeper chilly parts! But as I said, this is just a fantastic way to see all the bays, which usually don't even have anybody in them, and if so, it's maybe a handful of people max!

In terms of restaurants, we ate at Cafe Roma, which was outstanding, better than anything we ate on St.Thomas earlier in the week. Ate at the BBQ joint too and it was very good!

We're about to celebrate our fifth anniversary in May and are considering another visit! Have a great time!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

I will definitely have to look in to those excursions that you mentioned. Thank you for all of your info.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 10:59 AM

Susan,
In two days me and my family are traveling to St. Johns for our second time. usually, wherever you are on the island, whether its at the beach our at your hotel there are plenty of taxi's riding around or waiting for customers. on our first trip to st. johns me and my mother where going back to our hotel on a taxi. our hotel stood just beyond a large hill. when the taxi had made it about 3/4 way up the hill it stalled and we started to roll back down the hill and into the traffic. this was pretty scary, but dont let it freak you out. we made it over the hill all in one peice (the driver just had to floor it). On our upcoming trip to St. Johns we are planning on renting a jeep because that way you can explore some of the islands lesser known beaches and drive through the national park, all at your own pace.
although all the restaurants in cruz bay are great, the lime inn is exeptionally good. for touring, i would suggest taking a half day or day sail on a catamaran to a British Virgin Island because the captains know all the best snorkeling spots. have fun,

-Fred
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 11:53 AM

My husband and I have stayed at St. John twice. We ate in Cruz Bay every night. We always found cabs available at the resort. I believe the cost for the two of us was $6 each way.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 11:57 AM

Suggestions on where to eat:

Breakfast
Chilly Billy's
Breakfast buffet at Caneel

Lunch/Happy Hour
Woody's
Skinny Legs (in Coral Bay)
Lunch buffet at Caneel

Dinner - Moderate
Morgan's Mango - 2 for 1 drinks on Thursdays
Cafe Roma - good pizza by island standards

Dinner - Expensive
Asolare
Stone Terrace
Chateau Bordeaux (in center of island)
Paradiso (we didn't particularily like it but a lot of people do)

Never had dinner at Caneel, so can't comment.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 11:58 AM

Sorry. In my first post, I meant to say we stayed at Caneel Bay twice.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Wow so much info!! I don't know what to do with it all. Also another question, is it recommended to book say that half/full day catarman tour to the BVI's before we go (we're not going for 6-7months yet) or wait until we get to St. John? Also anyone have an idea how much cocktails, glasses of wine cost at Caneel? Being that my husband and I enjoy a few drinks I was wondering if they are very expensive? Also what are good bars too?
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 12:37 PM

There are always taxis available in the Caneel parking lot. You will enjoy the trips with Cathy from Caneel and she and her staff present a variety of activities and sails to choose from whether it is a half day snorkel or even a full day sail to Jost van Dyke. Since you are going in the Fall you will want to include dinner one night at the Estate House at Caneel which will probably be open only some nights. Some enjoy the Equator on the property and the views are wonderful so even if you don't eat there be sure to check that out. The afternoon tea at the Estate House is a winner.
Zozo's has been getting great reviews lately but check back before you go since the restaurants do change frequently. Also Chloe and Bernanrds at the Westin is good now that it has new stewardship and chef.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 12:43 PM

Since you are not going during a peak time, you shouldn't have to worry about booking far ahead. In fact, you could probably wait until you are there. Another option is to take a ferry to Virgin Gorda, which we did one time. The cost was $50 + $15 customs fee pp. Caneel also has a day trip to Virgin Gorda/Little Dix Bay. I believe it was $65 pp. We enjoyed seeing LDB in addition to The Baths.

I don't recall how much drinks cost at Caneel, but you can assume relatively expensive. As for good bars in Cruz Bay: Woody's for beers and Morgan's Mango for tropical/frozen drinks. Duffy's Love Shack is another bar/restaurant. Loud music and younger people. Fun, but depends on what you are looking for.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 12:45 PM

We ate at Zozo's two years ago. It was a good meal. But the location is a bit noisy if you dine outside - it is on a road with a steep hill. I forgot to mention Lime Inn earlier -- reminded by another post. Also had a good meal there. Seems to be very popular.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 01:06 PM

Susan,

The day sail on the Stormy Petrel was around $115pp when we went in the fall of 2001. There were only 6 of us on the boat and it was an all-day trip to the Baths, Cooper Island and an isolated snorkel spot off Peter Island. This was absolutely the highlight of our trip and I can't recommend it highly enough. We had a fabulous time. The Reef Bay hike is free if you choose to walk all the way back up the trail yourself (not recommended) or there is a small fee (maybe $25pp--I can't remember) to get a boat ride back to Cruz Bay at the bottom of the trail. The Ram's Head hike is free since it's not a tour, and same for snorkeling at Waterlemon.

You may want to purchase a good St. John-specific guidebook, like "St. John: Off the Beaten Track" or the "St. John Beach Guide" by Gerald Singer. Both are available on Amazon.com. We also liked "Feet, Fins and 4WD" by Pam Gaffin. Off the Beaten Track has the specific directions you'll need if you decide to do the Ram's Head hike.

FYI--Since it sounds like you're going in September or October, keep in mind that many places may be closed due to hurricane/low season. We went in mid-October and a good number of restaurants (including Cafe Roma) were closed. Also, I don't believe the Stormy Petrel operates in the month of September. Of course, the up-side to going at that time of year is fewer crowds.

Have a great time!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:00 PM

check out www.stjohnisland.com for a fairly comprehensive list of restaurants and menu's.

If your going to plop yourself on the beach at Caneel and not venture out to eat except for diner, take a taxi. If your going to explore the island and check out other beaches (which I strongly recommend), I'd rent a jeep.
The taxi's are pick-up trucks, converted with benches and cabana covers on the back. So often the drivers have you sit and wait in their truck while they round up more passengers. (I'm not the most patient person, so I find it annoying).

We just got back from the Westin last week. (We rent a jeep and cruise all over the island to various beaches, so I couldn't justify ~$550 a night for Caneel during the peak season). We bring a mid-size packable soft cooler and load it with Ice from the hotel each morning and then stop at Starfish market and get pre-made wraps/sandwiches and drinks and bring them with to the beach.--Just eat/drink there and then cruise to another beach. Another decent place for a sandwich at lunch is the Black Dog Cafe in Mongoose junction. (sandwiches/island drinks). We're not trying to nickel and dime the trip--just not a fan of interupting a full day at the beach by driving back into town for lunch. The other consideration, is that even an AVG. diner with drinks is going to run around $90, so we'd rather do a light lunch and then do a nicer place for dinner. (big fans of Chateaux Bordeaux)--rustic but decent food.

Another recommendation is that you and your husband get snorkel gear if you don't own them already. (mask, fins, snorkel). A decent set will cost you each around $60, but well worth it. At any given beach you can see lots of sea life in relatively shallow water swimming right from the beach. We actually came across a manta ray with about a 7+ foot wingspan in about 8 feet of water at Francis Bay.

~enjoy

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:00 PM

check out www.stjohnisland.com for a fairly comprehensive list of restaurants and menu's.

If your going to plop yourself on the beach at Caneel and not venture out to eat except for diner, take a taxi. If your going to explore the island and check out other beaches (which I strongly recommend), I'd rent a jeep.
The taxi's are pick-up trucks, converted with benches and cabana covers on the back. So often the drivers have you sit and wait in their truck while they round up more passengers. (I'm not the most patient person, so I find it annoying).

We just got back from the Westin last week. (We rent a jeep and cruise all over the island to various beaches, so I couldn't justify ~$550 a night for Caneel during the peak season). We bring a mid-size packable soft cooler and load it with Ice from the hotel each morning and then stop at Starfish market and get pre-made wraps/sandwiches and drinks and bring them with to the beach.--Just eat/drink there and then cruise to another beach. Another decent place for a sandwich at lunch is the Black Dog Cafe in Mongoose junction. (sandwiches/island drinks). We're not trying to nickel and dime the trip--just not a fan of interupting a full day at the beach by driving back into town for lunch. The other consideration, is that even an AVG. diner with drinks is going to run around $90, so we'd rather do a light lunch and then do a nicer place for dinner. (big fans of Chateaux Bordeaux)--rustic but decent food.

Another recommendation is that you and your husband get snorkel gear if you don't own them already. (mask, fins, snorkel). A decent set will cost you each around $60, but well worth it. At any given beach you can see lots of sea life in relatively shallow water swimming right from the beach. We actually came across a manta ray with about a 7+ foot wingspan in about 8 feet of water at Francis Bay.

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:10 AM

You've received some good advice and I just wanted to reiterate, since this was the crux of your original query, that taxis at Caneel Bay are plentiful. We stayed there in November and no matter what time of day there were always a few waiting for passengers. I also recommend renting a car, if not for your entire stay, at least for a few days so you can explore the island and visit some of the other beaches although, unlike most posters here, we did not enjoy Trunk Bay. It was extraordinarily crowded, the snorkeling was much better off of Caneel and Scott Beaches, and we found the beach itself to be rather narrow. We enjoyed the beaches of Caneel Bay much more.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

I will probably wait until we get there and rent a jeep for a few days. We are going the 2nd week in October so hopefully that one tour, the Stormy Petrel will be an option. It sounds like there are a lot of different things to do and places to eat. I wish I was going away tomorrow, can't take this winter anymore (from NJ). Thanks again
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 11:41 AM

I'll bet you wish you were going tomorrow. I can't believe there will be MORE snow for us here in NJ!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 10:07 AM

There are a couple of terrific snorkeling trips available at Caneel. The boats hold approximately six people so that you do not get lost in a crowd. There is a half day trip and an all day 4 island BVI trip which has outstanding snorkeling sites.

I have taken day trips from both St. Thomas, and from Caneel. I prefer the Caneel trip because it is closer, which allows for more in water time, and I felt I received more individual attention. Prices are about the same.

Meals at Caneel are good, and the above mentioned off property sites are good also.

Complimentary breakfast rolls, coffee, tea and juice are available from 7:00 - 8:00 each morning. A special treat that I particularly enjoyed, was having breakfast brought to my room in a picnic basket, complete with white linen, which was wonderful to have on my balcony while being immersed in the vision of the multi blue hues of the gorgeous sea.

Once you are at Caneel, I don't know how much you are going to want to leace it.(It's that great.) Meals served on the terrace are delicious and affordable, in the other restaurants, more elegant and gourmet.

It is a wonderful, beautiful place.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -