Fountain Beach Hotel?

Aug 13th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Michael

Fountain Beach Hotel?

I recently have been researching a place to stay for our honeymoon and found Fountain Beach Hotel. Has anyone stayed there or have any feedback. From their website they look very nice and affordable, and they are located on Shoal Bay, which we heard is very nice. Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated!!

Aug 13th, 2002, 02:00 PM
cdt

I read somewhere that it was closed.
Can anyone confirm this?

Aug 13th, 2002, 08:56 PM
no spam

The Fountain Beach Hotel closed more than two years ago and has not reopened. The property is on the market, and quite frankly, will need some improvements before it is ready to open again.

Many other lovely properties on Anguilla to choose from. The island is a wonderful honeymoon destination. Just keep looking for other accomodations.

Is there a particular part of the island you want to stay?

Aug 14th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Michael

Thank you for the information. We do have other resorts we are looking into, the Sonesta property, which I read was also on the market but when I called they said it was not. Also we are looking into Frangipani, any comments on the two?

Aug 16th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Shari

Hi Michael,
Have not stayed at either Sonesta or Frangipani, but have seen good comments about both. Both properties have their fans. You should be aware, however, that Sonesta is undergoing changes. The property has been purchased and a golf course is to be built near by. At some point, a new hotel will be built. The existing Sonesta will be used temporarily as housing for the construction workers, and then razed. You should carefully check the timing of things before booking the Sonesta.

Personally, I think Meads Bay (where Frangi is located) is a prettier beach than Rendezvous, which is the large bay near Sonesta. I believe the Sonesta is on either Cove Bay or possibly Merriwig. But the Sonesta would give you views of St. Martin, which you would not have from Frangi.

There is lots of info about accomodations on Anguilla at

www.news.ai

There are directories for hotels, inns and villas, many with website links. Lots to choose from, Anguilla is a very relaxing destination. Enjoy!

Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:13 AM
O.T.

Fountain Beach closed at least 2 years ago, if not more.
REcent reports from Sonesta tells that the staff is reduced and so is the dining choices.

Suggest you check out Caribbean-On-Line.com Anguilla forum, it is very active. Many regular guests to both Sonesta and Frangipani posts there.

On ShoalBay East,you have the choice between Shoal Bay Villas, Shoal Bay Beach Hotel, Maderiman's Beach Club, all right on the beach.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 10:35 AM
cleo

You'd be better off an Frangipani...reason being, it's a tough island to drive (in my opinion) and most of the restaurants are more towards Meads -- we compared the two and didn't want to be driving all the way from Shoal at night...just a thought!

Aug 24th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Shari

Well...just offering a different opinion on Anguilla driving. The Caribbean islands in general offer more difficult driving conditions than, say, the US or Canada. But IMHO, Anguilla is one of the easiest islands I have visited to get around on. Yes, the driving is on the left, but it did not take long to adapt to that. And I have done that left-driving on Anguilla in both left-drive (i.e. US) and right-drive (i.e. British) cars. Neither was a problem.

Unlike the USVI, St. Lucia, St. Martin and many others, Anguilla is relatively flat. No scary hairpin mountain turns or heart-stopping climbs and descents in the mountains.

Typical of Caribbean, signage is not great, you often wonder if you are going the right way. But Anguillans are so friendly, anyone you stop is happy to direct you.

I'm not saying that Cleo is wrong, apparently she didn't enjoy the driving and I'm sure she has valid reasons. I just had a much different experience.

Aug 24th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Sally

We stayed at Frangipani last month, had a great time. The beach was incredible, a really really deserted beach with unbelievably soft sand. We also loved the restaurant, the wines were great (but also the food)!
As for driving, all I can say is that while we don't have a car and I don't drive at all and my husband doesn't really like to, he sure didn't mind driving on Anguilla. In fact, we took trips with our rental car every day, and in spite of traffic on the left found the island ideal for driving - so quiet and easy to get around. And there are so many nice hotels and restaurants and wonderful beaches to see! So- have a great time!!

Aug 24th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Mary

We're Frangi people as well -- can't go wrong there & it's quite small & intimate (8 units). We're heading back in November. Have you looked at http://hotels.ai? Grouped by price & has links to the websites, as well.

Aug 24th, 2002, 03:23 PM
cc

Just my opinion, but do not consider Shoal Bay Beach Hotel, was there in April and it needs renovation. Paid a high price, and not for the room. However, the beach is incredible, which is why we went back and chose to stay there. Stayed on Meads Bay, beautiful also, we were at the La Sirena, that trip was in 2000, and although we were not directly on the beach, we had a great stay. The food is incredible in Anguilla, you have to try the Altamar, fantastic!!!! Have a ball, I an envious.