Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Help deciding where to go for 40th birthday trip: Anguilla (hotel?), St. Barts (villa rental), Mustique Cotton House, Harbour Island Pink Sands

Search

Help deciding where to go for 40th birthday trip: Anguilla (hotel?), St. Barts (villa rental), Mustique Cotton House, Harbour Island Pink Sands

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the info:

Travel date in early November. No kids with us but maybe several other couples.

Have been to the following places already: Jamaica, Caymans, T&C, St. Thomas, St. John -- with day trip to VG and Yost, Bahamas, Barbados. Barbados was my favorite place of all of the islands that I have been to.

Looking for good dining like in Barbados (loved the Cliff), fun activities like the day trips we took to other islands when we were in St. John (swimming into the Soggy Dollar Bar was very memorable, as was swimming back after a painkiller or two!!!), and a being in a place that is not overly commercialized. We like low-key attitude but with a bit of luxury.

I would love try some place new and am looking for suggestions from you expert fodorites.

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 03:37 PM

I can only comment on Anguilla. I've pasted my response to another post about the Island, regarding hotels.

Anguilla has many fabulous restaurants, Pimms, Blanchards, Mangos, Olivers etc.
Tasty's for cheap local flavor-amazing lobster or red snapper salad.

Day trips to St. Martin,( although not my favorite), St. Barts, Prickly Pear. Snorkelling is not great, but has everything else you are looking for. Enjoy!

Find my paste from another "Anguilla's Most Luxurious Hotel" post:
Hi There,
I've stayed at all three and am also in my early 30's. Hands down I would say Cap Juluca. Keep in mind this is the Caribbean. I LOVE the Caribbean, but the service isn't like a Ritz or Four Seasons.
Mali is perched up above the beach and it is the oldest of all three hotels. I found it stuffy and you go to Anguilla for the beautiful beaches, so why not stay on the beach. Out of all 3, Mali caters the most to children. It has an Old World Feel.
CuisinArt is the newest. It has a very American feel. It has the nicest pool of all three. I found the beach windy and the service so, so. They have a nice Spa. New World Feel.
Cap Juluca- My FAVORITE. Accomodations steps from the sand. The Luxury Rooms and Junior Suites have incredible terraces where they serve continental breakfasts at no extra charge. Pimms is the most spectacular waterfront Restaurant, the waves literally lap at your feet. So romantic. You can have a privat candlelit dinner on the beach...I could go on and on. Other Wordly feeling. The only downside is the pool, but with a beach and water like that you won't miss it. It is on a secluded baby, so no wind and calm waters...okay this is turning into a very long novel.

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:24 AM

Pink Sands is one of the top resorts in the region and November will be quite nice weather and the water will still be warm.

Harbour Island has been rated one of the top 10 destinations by several "rating" magazines and travel groups and has one of the top 10 beaches in the world.

Pink Sands is small and you will have lots of privacy because the accomodations are villas overlooking the ocean. I think there are only 30 villas. There is a lovely beach bar and excellent restaurant onsite and several other good to excellent restaurants on island.

I thought for the money Harbour Island was a much nicer destination than St. Barth. We paid something like $320 a night for a hotel that looked like a Howard Johnson reject on St. Barth and I thought the food, good but severely overpriced in comparison to Harbour Island.

I have only been to St. Bart once and would never go back.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 07:54 AM

I second caribfan's recommendation of Anguilla. There are also a number of very nice hotels that are less expensive and less luxurious than the big three described by caribfan. I'd recommend Serenity Cottages on Upper Shoal Bay which is a quiet and beautifully decorated outpost just east of the action on stunning Shoal Bay East. If you want to be closer to the center of Shoal Bay East, there's Shoal Bay Villas and Elodias. Carimar and La Sirena on Meads Bay are also very nice. Lastly, there's the Rendezvous Beach Hotel which sits on a splendid beachside location but it may be closed for renovations in early November. You don't have to spend an enormous amount of money on a hotel in Anguilla. Of course, if money's not a concern, the big three are tremendous.

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Laby has a good point. Contrary to popular belief, you can find reasonable lodging in Anguilla. I only mentioned the big three, because they are comparable to the pricing of Cotton House and Pink Sands, actually cheaper in November.
Have fun!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 12:07 AM
iw

caribfan, why is st. martin not your favorite? just curious. great info for the original op....i have not been to anguilla or st. barts, but want to go. is there a lot to do on those islands? hiking...things to see? we are headed back to sxm this summer for a few days after visiting st. kitts/nevis again and i think i am going to be surprised at sxm since it has been 8-10 years since the last visit. i am trying to gather info so that i am not in shock!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 07:52 AM

You might want to also consider Biras Creek on Virgin Gorda--you could recreate some of your favorite day trip memories such as the Soggy Dollar Bar but get a feel for a different island. Biras Creek is a Relais & Chateaux property and it gets very solid reviews for their food and the natural beauty of the location.

If you travel with a few couples, you might want to consider renting a very nice villa along the lines of A Dream Come True on Virgin Gorda.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 01:58 PM

iw: St. Martin isn't one of my favorite just because it is so busy and crowded. I know the shopping is great and the restaurants- (I'm sad I didn't get to try one of the fabulous ones on the French side). Nightlife is supposed to be good too. I just like the beautiful, quiet beaches of Anguilla and it sounds like Harbour Island. If you liked St. Martin before, I'm sure you still will. I was there in 97 and 05. I didn't notice a big change. Have a great trip!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 03:18 PM

caribfan - ITA, I have been to SXM pretty much every year (well of my life ) and it has changed a lot and it is very busy now! Was there in Nov. and the traffic was horrific. I felt like I was in a major city! not an island. SXM (the french side) is still one of my favorite places because of the great restaurants, however, some parts of the island really lack charm due to crowds and too much construction and traffic.
Anguilla is so quiet compared to SXM and so unspoiled, although getting busier everyday and more construction happening all the time
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:03 AM

Dear hesn,
Maybe my husband and I will run into you in November! We too are planning a trip the first week in November for my 40th (November 9). We seem to have narrowed choices down to Jumby Bay, Cap Juluca, Parrot Cay and Peter Island. You seem to have been to many carribean locales. Any thoughts on the above? Cap Juluca seems great, although the cost of food seems a bit high. We love the fact that Jumby Bay is all inclusive and Parrot Cay seems like it would be extremely relaxing. We would rather have a place were we are NOT hopping around from restaurant to restaurant. We'd love some day excursions, but would like to stay at the hotel. Help??!!?? Do you or anyone else out there have any advice?