Food options in Aruba

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 09:23 PM
Carla

Food options in Aruba

I am getting more and more discouraged the more trip reports I read because it seems that all the restaurants even the new "progressive" ones in Aruba offer mainly heavy food in the style of 20-30 years ago. Meaning lots of meats, everything covered with cheese, seafood limited to shrimp, lobster, and salmon. Or else it's cheeseburgers and pizza and Hooters. I must have been spoiled by the great food in Jamaica. Is there any true Caribbean OR healthy OR innovative food available in Aruba or will I be disappointed with Aruba if I'm looking for island food, the kind you don't get everywhere you go in the US?

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Margo

Gasparito has been one of our favorite restaurants and served some local cuisine. We both love fish and Madame Jeanette's served excellent entrees--the Grouper was delicious. We've only had one bad meal during our many trips to Aruba. Jamaica and french St. Martin are two of our other favorite islands for dining.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Bud

Try the Old Canucu House. It serves typical local Aruban cuisine. Also, check out the Aruba Gastronomic Association website for a list of restaurants and their menus.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:51 PM
thrix

Carla,
I don't know where you've been getting information from, but dining in Aruba is definitely not limited to heavy food covered in cheese, or seafood only being salmon, lobster or shrimp. Most restaurants specialize and use seafood caught in Aruban waters and you will find it prepared almost anyway you can think of. There restaurants such as Madame Jeanette's and Flying Fishbone that are excellent and creative. You should go to a web site called arubahouse.com. The guy who runs it owns a house there and he has good information on restaurants and many other things about Aruba.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Carla

Thanks for all the info. I got the bad impression from a bunch of trip reports i read. I guess there are still a lot of of visitors who eat the same way no matter where they go. I am glad to hear that my first impression was wrong!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:28 PM
lou

I ate at Brias Del Mar back in 1985 and just last year and the food is still wonderful. Aruban style fish is just delicious. We also liked the Paddock neither of wish served food ladened with heavy sauces. There are lots of restaurants outside the hotels that are very good.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:30 PM
lou

Forgot to add that there is a very active message board on Aruba. http://www.visitaruba.com. You will find more activity on that board regarding everything and anything pertaining to Aruba.

Once on their website click on the link to message board.