Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Flying with charter airlines vs regular airlines?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Irene

My family and I are planning on a trip to the Bahamas in February. We've been given a good price for air and hotel. However, the package includes flying a charter airline from BWI in Baltimore. For those who have used a charter airline, I'm looking for the experience factor. Would you recommend them or would you prefer to fly a regular airline?

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 08:59 AM
NiNi

DON"T DO IT...as an employee of a large airport we see charters come and go all the time. You are taking a chance as they are not bound by the same rules and regs as a scheduled carrier. Especially in the winter when there is a chance of snow.If your flight is delayed or cancelled they owe you nothing; at least with a scheduled carrier they will try to rebook you on another airline - a charter will not do this for you. Speaking from very good experience, I wouldn't fly a charter. Curious...did they tell you what airline you'd be taking?

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 12:42 PM
NiNi

Thanks for your reply. The airline is Ryan Aviation. Any experience with them? <BR> <BR>Irene <BR>[email protected]

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 06:38 PM
Sam

We have only flown 'charter' twice <BR>& have flown 'regular' thousands of times! <BR>Regular is better! We flew ROYAL <BR>airlines last summer in Canada & it <BR>was a nightmare from beginning to end. <BR>We chose to end it sooner & flew back on <BR> Air Canada thereby forfeiting the return <BR>ROYAL flight...that's how bad it was! <BR>Then @ Christmas time we flew Canada 3000 <BR>to the Caribbean & it ,too, was very bad. So IMO go regular!

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 05:27 AM
anon

<BR>If you have a problem w/ your luggage, you'll have more problems with reimbursement than with a major carrier. At least we did. We usually fly the big guys cause I like to plan independantly, but have flown charters with a package 4 times. Other than being a little cramped because the plane was smaller & the one time with the torn luggage (could happen regardless), it was fine & without any problems. Didn't get any ff miles, tho.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Dolli

Hi Irene, <BR>I have flown charter many times, and in fact Ryan. They generally fly direct and I have never had any problems. The ones I have flown on have always been 727s. They also offer much better fares.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 10:53 AM
karen

Dolli: Thank you for your message. I'm breathing much easier right now. I'm actually flying down to Punta Cana next week on Ryan out of BWI. Not having heard of them before, I was a little worried but hearing that you had a positive experience makes me feel better. Thanks again.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 08:02 PM
Laurie

I have flown on charters out of BWI many times and have never had a bad experience. Allegra to Cancun they offered free beer, thats a plus to us!We will be going on another charter to Antigua out of Newark soon, the price was fantastic and it's a direct flight. <BR>Don't worry have a great vacation.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 12:05 AM
Joel

Interesting responses. We've flown charters at least 4 times. They were quite representative of other remarks here: much faster and cheaper, point to point, really loaded down, bad food, no smoking regulations so (since most passengers were French) it was almost unbreathable. <BR>Another time, as incredible as this seems, the pilot got the word while we were in the air that the airline had just gone out of business. He promptly landed at the nearest airport which was in Manchester NH and we were all left to our own devices. <BR>The net net is that with charters anything goes!!!

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 12:10 AM
abc

A caution about the Bahamas. I was ripped off on Eluthera a few years back by my hotel. I paid in cash on check-in at the hotel's demand and did not receive a signed receipt (my stupidity). The resort then claimed on check-out that I still owed the full price for our week there. They got the police and he said he was ready to haul me off to jail. We were unable to reach the American embassy/consulate. I don't say it is this way everywhere, but on Eluthera it is clear that the police and at least one hotel are in cahoots to cheat tourists.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Parrot Mom

Charter, charters...we have been using charters every February for more years than I can remember..at least 20..they are crowded..the food is mediocre to say the least.. We are going by charter to Punta Cana ourselves and with a little bit of luck you'll fly directly into Punta Cana rather than Santo Domingo.. The only charter I would not fly is Sun...I can't even begin to tell you how bad they are..never again.. Sometimes charters are the most efficient way to get somewhere and the price is right..