Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

First trip to southern Carribean- need help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going on a cruise and stopping at the following islands, and we would love some advice on the best way to spend our time! We love relaxing on beautiful beaches, snorkeling when it's worth the trip, or checking out great local hangouts! Thanks in advance!<BR>St. Thomas<BR>St. Martaan<BR>St. John/Antigua<BR>St. Lucia<BR>Barbados
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:55 AM

We honeymooned in Antigua last year and really enjoyed the island. We stayed at a resort on Dickenson Bay and this is a great beach, if interested in a day at the beach. There are quite a few watersports offered there (sailing, parasailing, jet skis, etc.). The beach is long and the water is very calm. Shopping in St. John is ok, I found it to be nothing special. <BR><BR>Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 07:31 AM
JMM

St Thomas - Magens Bay - very pretty beach - not much snorkeling though. If you want good snorkeling take an excursion or the ferry to St John's<BR>St Maarten - Orient Beach on the french side - lovely beach - loungers for rent and restaurants - be aware though that part of the beach is clothing optional (no big deal for us when we were there but it does bother some people.)<BR>St Lucia - personally I would do an excursion that goes to the Pitons - they really are impressive<BR>Barbados - get a taxi driver to take you on a tour and drop you off at a beach<BR>
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 07:35 AM

St. Thomas-Go see Coral World<BR>St. Maarten-Swim and snorkel on any of the beaches<BR>Antigua-Go see Nelson's dockyard<BR>St. Lucia-They have a tropical rain forest that covers a large chunk of the south part of the island. There are trails there with some lookouts.<BR>Barbados-They have the pink and white sand beaches, so I would swim and snorkel there as well.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 10:14 AM

I just spent a long weekend in St. Lucia, and this is a place when on a cruise you definatly want to take a shore excursion. The rain forest is great! They also do banana and coconut plantation tours. G-