Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Cruising St. Martin, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Barbados & Antigua - What Should We See?

Search

Cruising St. Martin, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Barbados & Antigua - What Should We See?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are stopping at the above locations on a Princess cruise in March. Given how pricey cruise ship excursions are, we will likely only book two or three of them. What should we see for sure? What locations should we book an excursion on (is safety an issue, we are two thirty something girls)? What can we do on our own or that is close to the port? We like beaches, shopping, exploring the culture, history, etc.

Thanks.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 03:31 AM

As far as St. Maarten, you will arrive in the Dutch capitol of Phillipsburg, so you can easily have a day of shopping, lunching and enjoying the beach there and the area is safe during the day.

However, if you prefer to see the French side, you can take a cab to the capitol of Marigot to shop and lunch, but there is no beach in the immediate vicinity. So, if you prefer the beach, I'd suggest Orient Bay or Grand Case for the afternoon. Orient Bay will have some topless sunbathing and nudity, but it's a very active beach with much to see and do. If you prefer more peace and quiet, then Grand Case would fit the bill. Just be sure to have your cab driver come back to pick you up at a specified time.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 09:33 AM

My personal opinions of course:
St Martin: Orient Beach - lovely long beach with lots of activities, great people watching (and no I don't mean the nude people (unless you go to Club Orient you will only see a few nude people)
St.Thomas: Been to Magens Bay and Coki Beach - we preferred Coki because it has snorkeling. Great port for shopping
Barbados: a beautiful island - take a taxi tour and see some of it
Antigua: I highly recommend taking a tour with Lawrence of Antigua that includes Nelson's Dockyard and the other sites of the national historic park (the views from Dow's Hill are spectacular). His website is
www.lawrenceofantigua.com
St. Kitt's: take a taxi tour that includes Brimstone Hill (a UNESCO World Heritage Site)
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 12:19 PM

Most interesting sightseeing places are Harrison's Cave, Flower Forest, and Francia Plantation (a preserved plantation house from the sugar cane days). None are too far from one another. Best way to go is to hire a taxi for the sightseeing, and you have freedom of movement for the day without being among the crowds of a tour. If you pick just enough to take you to lunchtime, go over to Coral Reef Club (one of the classiest beachfront hotels on the west coast), have lunch at their open-air restaurant overlooking the water, and you can use their beach and snorkel.
See www.barbados.org

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 12:21 PM

The above post refers to Barbados, of course. Don't bother shopping there; just too many interesting things to see in a day, to include shopping.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 03:06 PM

If you like a little adventure, I would recommend the America's Cup Yacht Race in St. Martin. You actually race against another yacht and you have the choice of either just sitting back enjoying or performing various duties such as working the sails and rudder. Lots of fun!

On St. Kitts there is an old-fashioned steam engine train that goes all around the island. Passengers are assigned to double decker cars with the top level out in the open and the bottom level is closed and air-conditioned. This is a narrated tour with a choir.

Also on St. Kitts there is a beach with wild monkeys roaming freely. People were feeding them and it was really something to see. I don't remember the name, but ask any cab driver to take you to the beach with the monkeys. The cab drivers are good about asking what time you want them to pick you up to go back to the ship.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 01:27 PM

If you like Beaches we liked Dickensons Bay in Antiqua. It was the nicest we have been there twice and our second time we went to a different beach. Regretted not going back to Dickensons. Nice little restaurant bar at the end of the beach for lunch or drinks. Barbados we went to Paynes Beach, and also did half day tour of Island. They have a great port and dock, please plan it on your own. It is safe, and easy and half the cost of a ship excursion. St.Thomas also has Morningstar beach which is lovely as well as Megans Bay. I really liked Morningstar Beach.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 06:20 PM

We've also been to Megan's Bay several times. You can get a cab right as you come off the ship and the views of the harbor on the ride out to Megan's Bay are spectacular.

There is also a ferry from St. Thomas that goes to St. John. We've never done that but we've heard that it's a good way to spend time.

St. Thomas is a great island for shopping. There is a whole area right as you leave the ship as well as the downtown area only a short ride away.

We did a horseback riding excursion in Barbados that was fun and we've also gone to the beach and done Harrison's Caves. We found that, for us, the shopping right at the pier area was as good if not better than the downtown area.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Great information! Thanks for the responses. Sounds like taking the local taxi is the way to go in most cases (I am also checking out the Lawrence of Antigua option - I love the name).

I will definitely bring a copy of your responses with me. I can't wait to see the sights. I only wish I had more time.