First timer -- Where to go

Jul 10th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

First timer -- Where to go

I need advice for virgin Carribean visitors.

My girlfriend has expressed an interest in going down to Jamaica and staying at an "all inclusive" (AI) resort like Sandals.

I've never looked into visiting the Carribean and don't know anything about AIs. From some preliminary searches here, I've read pros & cons about AIs. I've also read about the Couples AI resort.

I guess we're looking at an August/September date. I don't even know if Jamaica is the island we should visit. She seems to like the ambience of the "old country" -- Italy, Portugal, etc..

We're a mid/late 30's couple. She's a bit more active than I am, but I'm pretty sure she wants to be able to enjoy a nice stay at a great beach and get a good tan (maybe even nude sun bathing).

If anyone could give me some starting points on trying to figure out where to go, I'd really appreciate it.
Jul 10th, 2003, 12:51 PM

For August/September I would avoid the caribbean as it is hurricane season. Read some of the recent posts from people who booked their trips and are leaving tomorrow, there is Claudette blowing around right now. They are also tracking another system that has potential for a storm. It is very risky and a big crap shoot, as Aug/Sept are the most active months for hurricanes in the caribbean. You may not get a hurricane, but you could get very unfavorable conditions, tropical storms, lots of rain and wind.

I would look into Aruba, Barbados, Curaco and I think Bonaire, as these islands are further south and are much less likely to get hurricane weather.
Jul 10th, 2003, 01:16 PM

For August/September, the further south you travel the better. To let you know, Aruba is very Americanized.

If you can arrange to go at a different time, Jamaica would be a good pick. I have heard better reviews of the Couples resorts than the Sandals in Jamaica. I have read that Couple Negril is on the best part of Negril beach and offers a great nude beach area.

We visited Antigua the first week in October last year and had perfect weather. We stayed at Sandals Antigua and really enjoyed it. If looking for something more on the luxury side, check out Jumby Bay. It is a luxury All Inclusive. Good luck in deciding and enjoy!
Jul 10th, 2003, 01:31 PM

I'm not an AI person but I've heard Couples/Superclubs offers a "no rain" guarantee or something - you might look into that. There's always the danger but JA doesn't get hit with hurricanes very often, there have been two big ones since '84, as I recall.

I do love Jamaica and Negril is a good place to go the first time, lots of good restaurants, bars, live music and a killer beach with crystal clear calm water, palm trees....pretty much what you'd hope for from a Caribbean vacation but a little livelier without being Americanized.
Jul 10th, 2003, 01:46 PM

This may be the wrong board, but I have heard very good things about Royal Hideaway, and adult only inclusive south of Cancun mexico in playa del carmen, it is supposed to be fabulous
Jul 11th, 2003, 05:29 AM

Have you considered a cruise? It is a great introduction to the Carribean, you will see several islands and maybe have a better idea where you want to spend some more time on your next vacation. A cruise includes everything but drinks and, depending on the line you choose, will have good to really great food and nightlife options. A cruise can also avoid hurricanes and other storms by changing the itinerary and visiting an unaffected port.