First time visitor to Grand Cayman

Jan 14th, 2001, 05:58 PM
LMH

First time visitor to Grand Cayman

I'm traveling to Grand Cayman Saturday, January 20th. Six of us are staying at Morritt's on the East End.

Any suggestions on restaurants or things we really should see?

Can anyone tell me where Foster's Food Fare or Hurley's are located so we can grab groceries?

Thanks for any advice!

Jan 15th, 2001, 02:43 AM
Billk

Sting Ray city is a must see. Since there are six of you charter your own boat and don't go on the large tour boats. The cost won't be thet muuch different and you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Jan 15th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Jerry M.

Foster's is just outside of the airport in Georgetown. Do stop there first; its a long drive to the East End, where you will be staying!

For dinner, I recommend the Portofino Wreck View restaurant, which is not far from your hotel. Our favorite on the Island, for both lunch and dinner, is the Lighthouse at Breakers restaurant. We enjoyed dinner at the Wharf restaurant, and at the Rum Point restaurant, too.

Grand Cayman is wonderful--but be ready for sticker shock (it is very expensive)! The beaches are not crowded, the people are warm and friendly, and its easy to get around (just be careful driving on the left). Visit the Botanic Park, it, too, is very nice.

Jan 16th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Soda

Ditto the Lighthouse at Breakers. Excellent service with a smile. Nice seating over the ocean.

We liked Hurleys better than Fosters, mostly because it was so clean, colorful & fun. There's a big one between the airport & Boddentown, on the way to Morritts. I'm thinking Hurleys also has a small market around Rum Point, but not a major grocery.

Great advice about the stingrays. It's one of those touristy things you think, oh, geez, I guess so, but it's truly a great experience, esp. on a small cat. A private charter would be even better. While you're out, snorkel at Coral Gardens nearby if it's not too choppy.

We liked a little cafe along SMB, I think it was called Tortuga. Very colorful place. Great spicy food.

Morritts is out of the way, but we've heard only good things about it. Please post a report when you return.

Rum Point is nice at sunset. We enjoyed the restaurant. Go early & laze in the hammocks or swim. There are showers for changing. Nice gift shop. Clothing can be found cheaper on the island, but it's better quality than most of the harbourfront shops in Georgetown. Will last forever.

Jan 19th, 2001, 12:46 PM
KAren

I've been to many an island and still nothing somes even cloe to the Caymans. For water visibility, you can't beat it. If you like diving or snorkelling be sure not to miss Eden Rock. I went back twice it was so wonderful. If you want an unforgettable dinner, do not miss Casa Havanna at the Westin. Its pricey but hands down the best restaurant on the island.

Jan 19th, 2001, 04:35 PM
Sandy & Fritz Evans

DITTO....DITTO...DITTO.....We were there two years ago, with out two grown sons, who dive.....they loved diginc the Cayman Wall....Saw so many beautiful fish spicies that had never seen before.....great diving even just in downtown at the dive shop you can see from where the cruise ships come in....step off the rocks and see many types of fish....doesn't cost you for the tours to the other side of the island and you will have fun. after the snorkling and diving it's a grat place to grab a drink and bit to eat and watch the sunset....DON'T MISS RUM POINT....AND THE STING RAY TRIP THAT LEAVES FROM THERE.....you take the boat off the dock there, go about 10 minutes out and step off the boat in waist deep water and all sorts of sting rays waiting for you to feed them squid that the tour person provides.....you will love it more than Stand Ray City where the sting rays are swimming Under you and you can only look at them.....I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW I FELT WHEN THE FIRST ONE TOOK SQUID FROM MY HAND....

wE ARE HAVING A HARD TIME NOW FINDING THE NEXT PLACE WHERE WE CAN ALL GO< since the boys said, "Mom when you go to paradise first, it will be hard to top it/"

ENJOY!!!!!!