Ferry Ride - St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda

Jun 26th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Ferry Ride - St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda

Has anyone traveled on the ferry from St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda? How rough is it? I was deathly ill on the ferry going from St. Martin to St. Barts and never want to experience anything like that again!
Jun 26th, 2007, 04:44 PM

You'll probably have an easier time getting response to this question if you post on Traveltalkonline. Lots of info on ferries on that website, not so much here. Good luck. (Do you take bonine/dramamine-- hour before the ride? I find it helps.) Good luck.
Jun 26th, 2007, 05:08 PM

It really isn't too bad. I've heard that sxm to stbarts is a rough one and I thought that the one between axa and sxm was pretty bumpy but I've done the ferry between STT to VG multiple times and never had a problem.
Bonnie, OTC - antivert or meclazine by prescription which is a tad stronger - taken before does work well for those who have less than a tolerant sea stomach and doesn't make you sleepy. But no alcohol waiting for the ferry to go!
Jun 28th, 2007, 07:14 AM

I have traveled St Thomas to Tortola via ferry and then onto VG several times. If there are no storms, it is not rough. If there are, you are in for some fun (or not so much fun). The worst ride I had was in August during a storm off VG, I thought we were going to sink! I alternated between crying & praying.
It really depends on the weather and how rough the ocean is. The ferries are not very big going over to VG and the ocean is a little choppy anyway. My solution is to bring some anti-anxiety pills or rum. I hate boats so if I can take something to calm me down, It's all good.
Jun 28th, 2007, 02:36 PM

I get sea sick and NEVER had a problem with the Virgin Islands ferry system. They stay mostly within the island chain so are in protected waters.

I did the St. Martin to Anguilla one years ago and would NEVER do that one again.

You'll probably be fine. Take some Bonine about an hour before the ride. (works much better for me than Dramamine). And if there's room, I like to lay down and take a nap... it calms my stomach. But note that I never had to do that on the BVI ferries.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:16 PM

We were on Speedy's ferry from St. Thomas (direct) to Virgin Gorda last week. Since we were going fast we were splashing through the water a bit at the beginning of the trip (like the feeling you get on a speed boat), but it was not a rocking motion at all.

Search this Thread