Favorite Negril Nightspots/Restaurants

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 02:23 PM
Dana

Favorite Negril Nightspots/Restaurants

My husband and I are off to Negril in September for a 2nd trip. First trip was to Ochos at an all-inclusive resort. This time we're on our own so someone please tell us your favorite Negril nightspots and restaurants. We were a little bored by evening entertainment at the all-in and really want to experience some good live music/Jamaican culture in the area. Also, are there outdoor markets around 7-mile beach? Probably a stupid question- but just wondering.

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 03:17 PM
Carlton

I spent 10 days in Negril 11/98 so I don't know how current ny info is although I think most of these places are still around. Nightspots: Alfred's, DeBuss, Risky Business, and Roots Bamboo all had live reggae on the beach. They kinda alternate with each having live music about 3 nights/week. You may want to check out Margaritaville as well. Didn't get there but heard it's decent. Don't think that they have live music. Just walk the beach by day and you'll hear about what's going on. Restaurants: Cosmos, best seafood in Negril on a great stretch of beach. Sonya's Patties across the road from the beach near the Mariposa. I've had Jamaican patties b4 but these were like nothing I've ever tasted. Chicken or Lobster and she does them over an open wood fire! Well worth seeking out. In the West End (don't miss it, the water color is a spectacular deep blue there) there's Rick's for sunset complete with cliff divers. Didn't eat there though. Stayed a few nights and ate at the Rockhouse. Food is very good. Atmosphere even better. 2 "doors" down from there is Pirates Cove. Escovitch fish there is heavenly. Also try Chicken Lavish. If you're in the West End for breakfast, the best breakfast in Negril is at Just Natural which sits across the road from the water in a garden about 1/4 mile from the Rockhouse. My mouth is watering thinking about these places. Oh yes, I almost forgot. DeBuss hs the best jerk chicken on the planet. ENJOY

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Diago

Great reply!!! I second everything in the above post. It's 100% on point!!!!

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 06:33 PM
dana

Calton,thanks for all the great info! I can't wait to try your suggestions. The Jamaican patties sound interesting-it sounds like a crabcake type dish. I'd like to try Rick's but hear it stays crowded. Is Escovitch fish a national dish there? I'm trying to remember from our '97 trip. Did you go snorkeling there? Any suggestions on that?

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 02:41 AM
Carlton

You're welcome for the information. Always glad to share bcuz that's exactly how I was able to find out so much b4 going. Escovitch fish is usually red snapper. They fry it and spice it up with onions, peppers, etc. It's delicous if you like spicy food...I certainly do. You can take a boat out to the reef for snorkeling. There is a very large reef which protects 7 mile beach and keeps the water relatively calm. However, it has suffered from too many people "touching" etc. Some of the coral is dead. It was decent but I've done better snorkeling elsewhere. I'd still check it out though. Boat will cost about $15/person w/snorkel gear. Did see some interesting fish and coral. We also snorkeled the cove right in front of Pickled Parrot/Pirates Cove/Rockhouse in the west end. Saw fish and intersting coral there. There are also caves in that area which you can explore. We also took a taxi just past the all inclusives (I think that the lst one is Couples which had just opened when we were there. Walk down the path from the road and you'll find wonderful secluded beaches. No one there but us and a few locals. Water was SUPER clear there. Schools of fish right off the shoe there. I also heard that Half Moon Bay which is further along in that same direction is nice. Hope this helps. For more info, also check out www.negril.com. Once again...ENJOY

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 02:45 AM
Carlton

Oops. In the last reply, I meant to say that Couples Negril is the LAST all inclusive, not the first.