Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Favorite Caribbean Island For October Honeymoon?!

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

My fiance and I would like to go to the Caribbean in October for our honeymoon!

We're first-timers (to the Caribbean) and we need help finding the most beautiful, interesting, and romantic island and spots. Not too touristy...good food, some music, some culture, beaches, tropical, lush.....

Oh, and what about rainy seasons or hurricanes in October????

If I'm forgetting anything, let me know.

Thanks in advance. I can always count on the well-travelled Fodorites!

Tara
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:22 AM

You are probably going to get a lot of posts stating that October is hurricane season. Yes it is, but I always travel in October (knock on wood) and usually get pretty good weather. To avoid hurricanes, stick with the islands that are farther south. I would look into St. Lucia - Anse Chastenet, Ladera or Jalouise Hilton. You can also look at any of the ABC islands (that are pretty much out of the hurricane belt) Aruba, Bonaire and Curaca (however Arube is more touristy then St. Lucia IMO). Good luck - Susan
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 11:24 AM

My husband and I went to Barbados and Grenada for our honeymoon in October. I loved both islands and we had perfect weather the entire time. We both loved Grenada the most. It was so peaceful and beautiful. Totally relaxing. We stayed at LaLuna and absolutely loved it. In my opinion either island would be a good choice.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 05:25 AM

My husband and I went to St.lucia for our honeymoon last year and it was his first trip to the Caribbean. I would not suggest it. St. Lucia is a lovely and geographically breathatking island - however, the beaches are not great. The culture is not representative of the caribbean overall and the people are much more reserved. Additionally the main city - Castries is not the kind of place you want to see for your first Caribbean island - I have been to 13 islands and for the first time ever I was scared in Castries...

If you want perfect Caribbean for your first trip I would say it has to be Grenada - the most safe and truly Caribbean island I can think of - plus there are a lot of resort / hotel options for Honeymooners based on your interest. Go to Grenada!!
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:16 AM

I would agree we just returned from Grenada and loved it. I have been to many of the Caribbean islands including St. Lucia and Grenada is by far my favorite. We stayed at Bel Air Plantation which was wonderful. I think Grenada is located below the hurricane belt so you should not have to worry about bad weather.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 06:02 PM

".... Grenada is located below the hurricane belt so you should not have to worry about bad weather".

So much for stereotypes.
Just remember that most all islands discount in the fall because NO island is immune from hurricanes; not Aruba (last in 1999) or any other island.