family vacation,snorkeling

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
family vacation,snorkeling

We would like to take a family vacation to the caribbean. Our 9 year old wants to snorkel. I am having trouble deciding what island to go to. Who has the best snorkeling off the beach? What island has the best snorkeling overall? We are leaning toward one of the Beaches resorts, they seem to be very kid friendly, any thoughts?

Thanks
Stacy
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:14 AM

Bonaire has some of the best "off-beach" snorkeling in the Caribbean but that island may not be suitable for your 9 year old. In general the Beaches Resorts are kid friendly but I'm not sure any of have good "off beach" snorkeling sites at the actual resorts.

You'd be better off looking at resorts in the US or British Virgin Islands. Those islands have very good to excellent "off-beach" snorkeling (many are located at or very near the individual resorts and you'll find a variety of resorts to fit almost any budget. For starters look at Caneel Bay on St. John, USVI's. There are 7 beaches on the resort, each with excellent snorkeling.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Coral Gardens in Turks and Caicos.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 11:17 AM

I would recommend the British Virgin Islands. Both Smuggler's Cove and Brewer's Bay have good snorkeling from the beach. Alternatively, if you are land-based, Patouche for a day sail comes highly recommended ( http://www.patouche.com) for amazing snorkeling at either The Caves or The Indians off Norman Island. Perhaps stay at a private villa or a small hotel (I would have no hesitation in recommending Heritage Inn on Windy Hill, between Cane Garden Bay & Brewers Bay). It's also very easy to island hop to Virgin Gorda (The Baths is a must) and Jost van Dyke - take a trip to the Bubbly Pool -loads of fun for all the family.

Have fun wherever you choose to stay.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 12:13 PM

Sorry - Heritage Inn is between Cane Garden Bay and Carrot Bay (not Brewers), although Brewers Bay is only about a 10-min drive from Heritage.