Family-friendly Caribbean resort- HELP

Dec 29th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Family-friendly Caribbean resort- HELP

Having spent the better part of today trying to get my family away impulsively for Feb vacation for under $5,000, I have given up. There really is no need to go during feb vacation SO, I am setting my sights on end of March. We had always gone to southern Florida but want something new. None of us have been to the Caribbean. SOOOOOO.... which island? No more than a 1-stop from Boston, and since my youngest is 4 a terribly long travel day is out of the question. BIG pool and beach kids. Waterpark types. They are both little fish in a pool. All-inclusive for ease? (Also, to keep a handle on the budget). Food is not a huge requesite for us. My kids would be thrilled to eat nothing but chicken fingers. My thoughts are the Dominican, Jamaica... the Bahamas (I worry about the winds I've heard about). Lush, pretty beaches, great pools. We really don't care about a night life (sadly), but kids clubs during the day would be great. Any advice would be SO appreciated. I am a hotel snob, but realize I may have to suck it up for the 4 of us under $5,000. Hoping March rates are better. THANKS, and Happy New Year!!!
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:03 PM

April and May rates would be better, March is still pretty high season.

YOu might look around for a package deal from some of the travel websites, and look at www.libertytravel.com as well.

The Atlantis is probably a good bet for everyone, and it has the lazy river, slides and all the pools and amazing displays. If you stayed at the Comfort Suites, you have full access to everything at Atlantis, and the cost is a little less.

Have a great time.
Dec 30th, 2006, 05:13 AM

For $5000 and being an admitted hotel snob would probably be better to wait it out until mid or end of April. I have traveled mid April and this is still considered high season for many places. My suggestion would be to narrow down where you would like to visit then check out the price range. Some may have decreasing prices the closer you are to end of season. Good luck.
Dec 30th, 2006, 07:49 AM
iw

It's amazing how money can go quickly in the Caribbean. Due to my job, I can only take long trips in the summer. I was amazed at the difference in rooms from the high season until summer. If you can put if off until then, you could get a lot more for the money. If you really want the March time, I would suggest following the other two poster's advice. I have pulled up the Atlantis in the Bahamas for a couples trip that we were thinking about last fall and it does seem family friendly. I am not a huge fan of AI, but it is easier, especially with children.
Good luck and I feel your "pain" doing the research as I have lost count of the hours that I have spent for the next trip.
Jan 2nd, 2007, 05:00 AM

I have been to both these places with my children, who are big water rats, and they loved them, an added bonus is that they are condo accomodations -- Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar in Puerto Rico and Aruba Marriott Ocean or Surf Club. Both resorts have great pools although the Hyatt has the edge with the best river pool and water slide I have seen at a resort.
Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:02 AM

Does it have to be the caribbean? What about the mayan riviera south of Cancun? Go to applevacations.com and check out the great all-inclusive hotels they have there with lazy river pools, waterslides, etc., and many of them have huge discounts or free for kids under 12.

Also look at Punta Cana through applevacations, another place with lots of AI's with kids clubs. My kids loved them, they did archery, played basketball, ping-pong, watersports, etc.

Also, the beaches in the Mayan Riviera and Punta Cana are GORGEOUS. Nicest in the caribbean.

I'm guessing you can get a great deal so long as you avoid presidents week, in fact, I'm going to Travelbyjen.com to take a look for you. Applevacations has non-stop charters for both of these locations from Boston.

PS, you have passports for everyone, right?

Almost all of these places have kid
Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:08 AM

Here Gettinbye, I found you an AI at the Gran Bahia Coba (really nice resort) in the riviera Maya leaving for a family of 4 for under 4700 total, leaving Feb. 24th returning a week later on a nonstop flight.

https://www.applevacations.com/prici...WmxmkKD-sTKayM
Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:09 AM

* correction, the total price is under $4500.

Here Gettinbye, I found you an AI at the Gran Bahia Coba (really nice resort) in the riviera Maya leaving for a family of 4 for under 4500 total, leaving Feb. 24th returning a week later on a nonstop flight.

https://www.applevacations.com/prici...WmxmkKD-sTKayM
Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:16 AM

If you want to go to Punta Cana put in flights from sunday to Sunday, that's when the non-stop from Boston runs.

Or just call Travelbyjen, I've used them twice and they're great for booking applevacations.
Jan 2nd, 2007, 09:21 AM

For your price, you probably have only 2 options: Cancun/Riviera Maya in Mexico or the Dominican Republic (and for that I'd recommend Punta Cana). See what your choices are in terms of price, but you won't have very many choices. This is a fairly small price for the Caribbean, even in March. If you can snag an Iberostar resort, those are good and moderately priced but you may not be able to afford one.
Jan 2nd, 2007, 01:33 PM

Hey, Check this out, in just came to my inbox..

http://www.cheapcaribbean.com/specia...102&glizda=off