Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

17 year olds planning to go on a spring break trip by themselves. Is it possible?

17 year olds planning to go on a spring break trip by themselves. Is it possible?

Jul 17th, 2005, 03:49 PM
cabrio444

me and about 3 of my friends want to go on a spring break this year by ourselves but not sure if it is possible to get a hotel when were not 18. our parents are ok with us going by ourselves as long as its not like cancun or anything crazy like that. we were thinking maybe los cabos, bermuda, antigua, aruba. also are these palces strict in the drinking age or is it more lax. help would be most appreciated

Jul 17th, 2005, 04:21 PM

Hmmm...I'll set the tone here or perhaps I'll just be the old grump.

I think it's a bad idea for anyone who is a minor to think of traveling alone.

Most of us who post here have children, some who are adults and some who are still safely in the protection of their parents. So I don't expect you will get much encouragement here...especially since you inquire about being served alcohol while underage.

You say your parents approve of this trip, but I have my doubts. If they truly do approve of the trip, have one of them post here.

Meanwhile, I suggest that you put this trip on your *wish list* when it's more age appropriate.

Jul 17th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Unfortunately, because of some problems with the spring break crowds many years ago, a lot of the resorts no longer accept reservations from anyone under 21 and/or 25. It is a result of extensive damage caused to resorts and the management now refuses to accept reservations.

Best Regards,
Julia
Jul 17th, 2005, 05:51 PM

The question about drinking under age concerns me. Rules are different than in the US but so is the culture. Bermuda you most likely could not afford. It was expensive 20 yrs ago when I visited and was much more financially sound than any 17 yr old I know. Antiqua as well. Maybe Aruba is affordable but I don't believe a travel agent will permit a 17 yr old to sign on the dotted line. As for drinking I took my 18 yr old niece on a cruise 7 yrs ago. Windjammer Barefoot. We both went to the bar to order a drink. The bartender would not serve her until I gave the ok. My niece is level headed and I had no problems with her having a few drinks. i spoke with the bartender and told him she is allowed but if he or any of the other barkeeps felt she had to much and I wasn't around they had my permission to decide when she had had enough.
Stick to the States for your first big trip. have one on record and save the Caribbean for a later date when you will truly appreciate it and not just be looking for a place to visit that will serve you at a younger age.
Jul 17th, 2005, 05:53 PM

The only way I know of for underage kids to travel is with chaparoned travel companies like Student City.
Most hotels won't allow them, but they do find some hole in the walls that will put 6 in a room and rob you blind.

As Julie said, decent hotels will no longer tolerate the destruction, and those who do impose a heavy damage deposit.
Jul 17th, 2005, 06:00 PM

I agree with the PP, I do not think you will have too much luck with a hotel (at least with any that are nice) I really don't advise going anywhere without someone with you. I think you are the second poster this week asking about this. It is just not a good idea. Look at the Natalee Holloway case. There were lots of adults and she is still missing. I am not sure that not going somewhere "Crazy" will mean that you will be safe. I would suggest getting a parent to go with you, or find something fun to do near home. GL
Jul 17th, 2005, 06:09 PM
cabrio444

thanks for all the info. you all kind of opened my eyes to reality. it seems like its just not going to work out and be too much of a risk of something bad happening and i'll just have to wait till im older for a vacation like this.hey, it'll give me something to look forward to. also i think it'll be easier to go with a school organized trip through our high school to costa rica. is that a nice palce to go?
once again thanks for all your guys wise info

Jul 17th, 2005, 08:08 PM

cabrio:
When I was 17..I went to Myrtle Beach SC for springbreak WITH a chaperone that was a trusted family friend.That was also 17 years ago..times have changed since then.I would recommend you get an adult chaperone and you chances might be better.
Jul 17th, 2005, 09:55 PM

cabrio444, I think your last post makes a great deal of sense. Don't sell organized school trips short. Some of the best adventures I had as a student were with school trips. They can be a lot of fun and a great way to "get your feet wet" into the world of international travel.

I did parts of Europe and the US on "school trips" and it was great. Some of the trips were organized into local hotels, and some were organized to utilize foreign university residences (in the off-season) as a base of operations while we toured their country.

Check it out with your school and see what's possible.

Steve
Jul 18th, 2005, 05:58 AM

To Cabrio: I get a sense that you knew the answer all along. Well it never hurts to try. Wait a bit dude. Your time will come and its not too far off. Cheers, Larry.
Dec 31st, 2006, 01:41 AM

The whole idea of teenagers going on such trips is simply beyond outrageous. When you earn your own money and are of legal drinking and driving age, then you can go wherever you want. Until then, the only appropriate Caribbean trip would be a family vacation.
Dec 31st, 2006, 05:42 AM

troll alert
Dec 31st, 2006, 05:43 AM
ExpertTripPlanner

As an experienced practicing psychotherapist who deals with teenagers and their families on a daily basis, I am shocked and dismayed at the contemporary trend of teenagers travelling, unchaperoned and unsupervised, far from home. In an earlier career, I designed special interest educational travel programs for high school and college students for a company that sent over 40,000 passengers abroad each year. Even with one chaperone for every 6-8 students, with a tour guide, and with additional support staff, the calamities and very serious issues that arised would curl your hair. Just my opinion, but this whole trend disgusts me.

Dec 31st, 2006, 11:59 AM

Turkey, Russia, all over Europe, Morocco --I started travelling solo yearly, at age 14 , quite a few decades before people got scared and isolationist, let alone started equivocating about life with words like 'issues'. The world's no less crazy now, but as the poster now might surmise, your school trip to Costa Rica might well give you the yearning for travel, and the smarts to accomplish it well.
Cabos and Aruba are springbreaker havens; Antigua and Bermuda are not, btw. Springbreak in any at a price level you might afford doesn't have a good return on your investment.
Dec 31st, 2006, 12:18 PM

You might also consider earning some
credit/life as well as pre-college by
looking into a week-long volunteer program organized and supervised, sometimes by churches, sometimes by
universities. Two or three such organizations go to Treasure Beach, on the South Coast of Jamaica -- miles from
springbreaker territory -- each spring.
Post a question about them on the
community Web site at http://www.treasurebeach.net
Would be a great trip for 4 guys, and
would feel good -- and look good to college admissions
staffers.
Dec 31st, 2006, 01:31 PM
ExpertTripPlanner

"ISSUES," e.g. = traumatic brain injury or decapitations due to poor impulse control and impaired judgement; accidents with significant injuries requiring amputations; arrests and jail for months at a time; serious illness without proper insurance coverage; multiple incidents of date-rape; loss of an eye after a drunken brawl. You name it, I saw it when I supervised groups of teens overseas. However, I do agree that some people can handle the independence and responsibility quite well. It was the question about the drinking that bothered me! Based on my extensive experience with teens overseas, and 20+ years of experience as a psychotherpist working with them and and their families, I maintain that any parent who sends his or her "child" on an unsupervised spring break binge need to have his or her head examined.

Dec 31st, 2006, 02:26 PM

I was an exchange student staying with a family near Paris in 11th grade, I was 16. The following summer (at 17) I backpacked around Europe by myself for a few days before heading to stay a month with another family that I'd connected with on the first exchange trip.

I wouldn't say those under 18 shouldn't travel at all, it was very eye opening for me, and a real learning experience to take care of myself. Not all was perfect - by a long shot - but that was part of the experience.

However, this wasn't spring breaky type stuff at all.
Dec 31st, 2006, 03:32 PM

Everyone, I don't know if this was a joke to begin with or what, but this 'Author' name has been pulled and is no longer on the forum. Whether by Fodor's or their own doing I'm not sure.
Dec 31st, 2006, 04:06 PM

Anyone notice this post originated July '05? Think they have already gone somewhere.
Dec 31st, 2006, 06:13 PM

Funny that swaying_palm topped this AND another similar post [also from long] ago; a new poster too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO