Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Experiencing our VERY FIRST all-inclusive; where should that be?

Nov 9th, 2005, 10:49 AM
bip
Original Poster

Hi,

My husband and I (50-ish) are planning our very first all-inclusive and going w/o kids for the 1st time. We want to experience an all-inclusive just to see what it's all about. Where should that 1st experience be?

We want GOOD food (willing to try native dishes, but want good 'ol American food available, too); nice, clean hotel/resort with big pool(s) and nice beach. Don't want an overly huge resort where you have to spend all day just getting to the rests/pools. Also, good cocktails and beer is important. We want a place where there is quite a lot of activies going on at the resort itself. And, lastly, which place is easier to feel more comfortable in as far as the language barrier (we're American)?

We're interested in Cable Beach (Radisson/Bahamas); Mexico (Mayan Riveria/Playa Del Carmen/Cancun area); Jamaica (what's all the 'bad' stuff that people talk about?); and St. Thomas. Of course any other suggested locations would be most appreciated.

Sorry for the long post, but I've always wanted to go to an all-inclu (w/o kids) and now's our chance, so we'd like for it to be a good experience. We're going in early Dec. and only staying 3-4 days.

I would enjoy hearing everyone's comments on all-inclusives. Thanks so much!
Nov 9th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Secrets Capri in the Riviera Maya is an adults only all inclusive which is supposed to be very nice. We were at the Secrets in Punta Cana and loved it there. Great pool and beach, wonderful service and food. It is also adults only.
Nov 9th, 2005, 06:25 PM

Sandals Whitehouse is perfect for what you are looking for....
Nov 9th, 2005, 06:39 PM

Does it have to be in the Caribbean? wasn't sure from your post. If it can be in Latin America....
Another possibility is Paradisus Playa Conchal in on the Paciic Coast in Costa Rica. My son and his wife enjoyed it, and it gets mostly rave reviews on Tripadvisor.com
I thnk they have enerything you mention--especially the BIG pool.
Have fun with your research!
Nov 10th, 2005, 12:07 AM
bip
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you who replied!
Nov 11th, 2005, 07:37 AM

bip,
I'll second the Secrets Capri recommedation !! We've been to several Adults Only all inclusive resorts & Secrets Capri is our favorite of all of them !! We loved the food (I don't like Mexican food or exotic kinds of food & I had no problem finding stuff to eat). The service was excellent & the resort was kept spotless. Our maid (who happened to be a man) even left us a few nice notes. My husband loves dark beer & they served Negra Modelo from a bottle (Corona was on tap). Their mixed/blender drinks were very good. Also, the resort only has about 242 rooms, so it's quite small (compared to some AIs we've been to). Secrets Capri is only about 20 or so minutes from the airport.

We also love the Grand Lido resorts in Jamaica & have been to them 7 times.

I'll include a link to all of our vacation photos if you're interested:
http://photos.yahoo.com/jmrperotto

Jackie
Nov 11th, 2005, 07:51 AM

I depends on when you are planning your vacation, but the Royal Hideaway on Playa Del Carmen is an excellent all inclusive and does not allow children below the age of 16. My husband and I were there several years ago and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The food and service were excellent. However, this property was damaged by Hurricane WIlma so if you plan to vacation within the next several months, maybe put this on your to-do list. (I think I heard that about 70% of the resorts in the area will be re-opened by December, however the rest of the resorts will not be 100% for about 6 months) - Good luck in your search! - Susan
Nov 11th, 2005, 02:02 PM

check out Couples Negril. It has everything you listed. Learn about it at couples.com
Nov 11th, 2005, 02:19 PM

The Grand Lidos in Jamaica are wonderful, but they will spoil you for any other all inclusive. There are some very good ones on the Mayan Riviera and if you go further south of Playa del Carmen you will find this area was less affected by hurricane Wilma.
Nov 12th, 2005, 04:02 PM

We love Sandals Grande St. Lucian. One of the most beautiful properties and islands we have had the privilege to visit. We visited last in 03 and will be back in 06.
You won't be disappointed.