expat packages

Aug 13th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

expat packages

I have been offered employment in the Cayman Islands. Can anybody tell me what to ask for as a typical 'expat' package to locate there, such as moving expenses, home leave/vacations, relocating to the US after the assignment, housing costs, contract terms, help with private school tuition for my children, filing US tax returns, etc...???? Am I leaving anything out????
Aug 13th, 2005, 09:55 AM

We were moved to the islands 12 years ago for employment, and although various companies differ in what they offer, our expat benefits include the following:

-Moving expenses for all household and personal belongings and one vehicle overseas.

-Local taxes paid by employer.

-Housing/rent.

-Electricity, water and cable.

-One paid trip home per year for all family members. Airfare only.

-All US and local taxes completed and filed by an accountant each year.

-Repatriation moving expenses (minus vehicle) of all household and personal belongings.

-We have a private school here for expat children that costs around $1500 per child per year.
Aug 13th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info, what island are you on, what type of ex-pat school is only $1500 per year...?
Aug 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM

We are on St. Eustatius and came to work here in the oil industry. The island is only 8-square miles and the expat school here is strictly for the children whose parents work for the oil terminal. There are less than 10 students and they use the Calvert Home Schooling system, taught by two US certified teachers. That is why it is less expensive than most expat schools. I guess you could say that even though the expats have to pay for it, it's still a fringe benefit of the employment.
Aug 15th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Cayman is not a "hardship" post, so you won't get a package as generous as Statia received .. eg no flights home every year.

For a qualified accountant (as an example), typically :
- 18-24 months contrac
- Flights out at beginning and end of contract
- Relocation of personal belongings (with limits)
- Accommodation for first two weeks
- Staff loan to help with deposits, buying a car etc

Not normally anything else, you normally find your own rent, file your own tax returns etc. In fact, US nationals don't often come to Cayman unless they work in tourism, as financial services professionals get paid enough to hit the threshold where Uncle Sam taxes them on their worldwide income... the only developed nation that still has worldwide taxation of income, AFAIK... so we mostly have Canadians, Europeans, Kiwis, Ozzies, Phillipinos, etc !

Aug 15th, 2005, 01:25 PM

See, Statia? Life on Statia is a hardship!

I guess you really need that Friday night poison! Who knew?
Aug 15th, 2005, 03:13 PM

Yep, I guess so, Joan.

Honestly, however, I found Tom's post interesting because I often wonder what other expat packages are in various places. I have to admit that our island is so tiny, with so little to offer people who are used to city life, that it doesn't surprise me that Statia and some other smaller places give more expat benefits because of the "hardship" of living there. I'll take the hardship anyday, however. It's the "no stress" life I've become accustomed to.

Thanks for the chuckle, Joan...and thanks for the insight, Tom.

Search this Thread