Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Educational framework for school-age children for three months

Aug 31st, 2012, 04:45 PM
r_b
Original Poster

Hi. We will be visiting Manchester, UK, for three months. We are looking for a childcare/educational framework for our school-age daughter (five years and nine months). She does not speak English. We would like her to experience a "living English" environment that is loving, patient and nurturing.

The local education authority tells us "guesting" a child into a local school is not done because of our tourist status. Nursery schools tell us she is too big for them. What options are open to tourists in terms of childcare/educational framework for school-age children other than childminding services and home schooling?
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:16 PM

You can approach a private (independent) school with a suggestion. It may be possible to come to some kind of arrangement in exchange for a fee. You need to approach a 'pre-prep' school. Such as http://www.abbotsfordprepschool.co.uk
But 3 months (one term) may be too short and schools are a very busy place with overworked staff.
If your 3 months covers school holidays, there are many courses run by museums, zoos, sports centres etc which combine fun activities and education. Get in touch with local authority for details. Lack of English will be an issue, but something sporty (like with a football club) may be both fun and educational.
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:37 PM

20 years ago I did just this in Manchester by staying with a friend and registering my kids at her address. They did 3 months in the local primary school and playgroup. Not a private outfit. At the time they were ages 5 and 2. Don't know if it can be done now but I bet it can. Use your local contacts.
Aug 31st, 2012, 11:30 PM

Is there a local community speaking your language that might have some hints and tips? I appreciate that you'd like your child to experience an English environment, but if there are compatriots in the area they may have gone through something similar and can advise about options.
Sep 1st, 2012, 08:55 PM
r_b
Original Poster

Thank you, guys! We are not UK residents, and that is working against us. I have contacted a few local communities, so far I have not received any response, but I will look for more and contact them. There are no international schools in the Manchester area (everything is in London!). I will target private schools next. Checking out courses in public and entertainment facilities is an interesting idea. I will look into that. As you get more creative ideas, please post again.