Search

Ever used Expedia?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Deborah

Ever used Expedia?

I normally book thru US Airways Vacations but checked out some prices on Expedia yesterday. Expedia was considerably less. I would say on average $300 less. <BR><BR>I was wondering if anyone has used Expedia or something similiar and what the experience was like?<BR><BR>I used Expedia for the first and only time earlier this year for a trip to Orlando and when I got to the hotel they did not have any record of my reservation. It took about an hour for the whole thing to get straightened out. This has made me nervous about using Expedia for something outside of the country.<BR><BR>Thanks much!

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:57 AM
MNichols

I use Expedia all the time, it is my travel agent now. Beware though of booking hotels you haven't checked out further. We were way out of the area we wanted to be in near Boston, and the map was misleading. It was a seedy neighborhood, and we simply checked out and went elsewhere. There is no substitute for personal observations, and sometimes it pays to see a live travel agent.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 08:34 AM
AbacoPeach

I use Expedia quite often. I have booked flights and rental cars but have never booked a hotel through them. We rarely, if ever, stay in a hotel anyway.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 10:09 AM
sandy

Hi, I have been using Expedia for several years, I have booked hotels in Rome and London with no problems. Also flights and was very pleased.Expedia is American Express. So no problems.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 10:13 AM
sandy

Hi, I forgot to say that I always confirm with hotel or airline before leaving home. This is not anything against expedia, but this is common sense.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 09:53 AM
Karyn

We booked an all-inclusive trip to Jamaica with out any problems. I agree that Expedia seems to be much cheaper however, you don't get the benefits of a travel agent. We met another couple who booked trough a travel agent and got a free excursion to Dunn's River Falls, worh t about $85 per person. Good luck.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 10:05 AM
Beth

I've bought several airline tickets and hotel rooms through expedia, and the only problem I've ever had is with the pin point seat assignments on the airplanes. We usually don't get the seats I hand picked, but they usually give us seats together.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:32 AM
trevor

If you're really looking for the best price, especially for airline tickets, I would strongly urge you to compare prices/itineraries at all three major sites, Expedia, Travelocity and Orbtiz. Lately, I've found Orbitz to be the best but you really need to check each of them out simultaneously, then once you've chosen an airline and a flight, go to that airline's website and double check that there isn't a better deal there. Depending on the intinerary, I've found that seconds can matter - as the fare increases at one web site, it doesn't necessarily get automatically updated at the other web sites. Recently, I thought I had found the cheapest fare from Philly to San Juan at all of the sites, then US Airways started to raise the price on their site. I went back to Orbitz and they hadn't yet updated, so I got the lower price there.<BR>I've used all three of the majors listed above to buy airline tickets (electronic and paper) and have never encountered a problem.<BR>Trevor