Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Dominica......so many choices, yet so little time.

Oct 1st, 2002, 12:47 PM
Lenore

One of the port stops during our next cruise is Dominica. Surprisingly, there seems to be quite a few shore excursions that look interesting. There are several waterfall hikes offered.....which is the most spectacular? There are all sorts of water activities such as tubing, snorkeling, kayaking, and sailing. They also offer whale/dolphin watching (which we did extensively while in Maui and LOVED it!) We don't necessarily have to book through the ship, but I do need to narrow down the choices. Obviously, there isn't enough time to do everything, so your opinions and experiences are welcome. Thanks!

Oct 1st, 2002, 01:51 PM
islandgirl

If you love nature and lush tropical vegetation, you are in for a treat. You did'nt say how much time you have in Dominica - my guess is you will arrive early morning and depart in the late afternoon. Skip the water activities because you can surely do that elsewhere. I would suggest a trip to the Emerald Pool if that is offered -gorgeous in there! And by all means go into the water - it is freezing but you feel wonderful and clean when you come out. Or you may want to see one of the many natural waterfalls - Trafalgar Falls is probably the best known and not far from the cruise ship dock. You can also have a swim there. If a hike to the Boiling Lake is offered you might want to consider that although it is a 6 hour hike and quite a strenuous one - but you will not regret going - it is amazing to say the least! There is also the Indian River which is in the town of Portsmouth - last time we were in Dominica, we took a canoe ride up the river - lovely - there is a bar at the top where you can have drinks and relax. From there, you could drive through the country and tour the Carib Reserve which is where the Caribs (the first natives of Dominica) have settled. Of course, you should try to sample some of the local food and drink - delicious. Lots of fresh fruits and vegetable and freshly caught fish - all very healthy and there are lots of resturants particularly in the town area where you can have a bite. Enjoy!

Oct 2nd, 2002, 09:50 AM
Lenore

Islandgirl - Thanks for the great suggestions. Regarding the waterfalls, we can do a 4 hour RT hike to Middleham Falls, or a much shorter easier hike to either Trafalgar Falls or the Emerald Pools. Which is the most spectacular of these three? If we do one of the shorter excursions, we will have time to also snorkel at the champagne reef. The Middleham Falls hike sounded the most interesting, but it won't leave enough time to do too much else. What do you recommend? I think we arrive at 8am and leave around 5 or 6pm.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:01 AM
islandgirl

Interesting questions Lenore. I think it all depends on what you like to do and how fit you are. Personally I have never been to Middleham Falls; however my brother went earlier this year with a friend and I saw the photos - awesome! I have also heard from countless people that it is a must do hike when visiting Dominica - certainly the most spectacular of the three choices you have mentioned. The thing is, you can always snorkel on other islands that you will be visiting on the cruise - where else are you going by the way? And also, Dominica is not, as far as I am aware, known for its underwater life - places such as the BVI are much better known. So I don't think you will be missing much if you do not snorkel in Dominica. You should also note that Dominica is volcanic so the beaches have black sand and are not generally the prettiest in the Caribbean. I think another consideration about Middleham Falls, is whether or not you want to do such a strenuous hike because from what I understand, it is quite a hike - on the other hand, everyone who has been says it is worth every minute of it because you get to see so much along the way quite apart from the falls, example, the Valley of Desolation. So if you fancy a challenging hike amidst the beauty of Dominica's splendid rain forests then by all means go for it - it will be 4 hours well spent. However, if you want a more leisurely activity, a trip to the Emerald Pool (which happens to be one of my favourite spots in Dominica) or Trafalgar Falls which is beautiful would suit you just fine - you can swim in both places and just enjoy the beauty of the surroundings.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 02:21 PM
Lenore

Islandgirl thanks again! Our cruise starts and ends in San Juan. We have stops in Aruba, Caracas Venezuela, Grenada, Dominica and St Thomas. We're doing a sailing/snorkeling trip in St Thomas, and probably a hike to the 7 Sisters Falls in Grenada. Maybe two four hour hikes is too much! We love hiking, but have gotten kind of out of shape this year. Our very favorite hike ever was to the top of Vernal Falls in Yosemite....totally awesome! Anyway, thanks for all the detailed info. I appreciate it.

Oct 4th, 2002, 04:35 AM
islandgirl

You're welcome Lenore. You must do a brief trip report when you return and let us know which island you enjoyed the most and whether you had fun in Dominca. Bon Voyage!

Oct 6th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Teri

Lenore-
My family and I went on a cruise that stopped in Dominica over Christmas last year. We are fairly active, and did the Middleham Falls hike - be warned, if you aren't an avid hiker, this one is not a good choice! We have also done Vernal Falls in Yosemite, and we all loved it, but this one just didn't deliver. The ground was slick, it's a very steep, unstable climb, and when we finally did reach the falls, we had to climb down wet, slippery rocks in order to get to them - something that my parents wouldn't allow, and something that seemed pretty dangerous. I have not heard anything on the other hikes on the island, but honestly, while I now look back on it and am glad I did it, I would definitely not do it again! Good luck!
P.S. If you do decide to do this one, bring a lot of water - we took some because I'm diabetic, and nobody else did, and it was still very hard on us.

Oct 7th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Lenore

Thanks Teri - We've decided against the Middleham hike because we'll be hiking in Grenada to the Seven Sisters Falls the day before Dominica. We're thinking about an easy hike to Trafalgar Falls in the morning and snorkeling the champagne reef in the afternoon. Decisions, decisions!

Oct 7th, 2002, 11:50 AM
islandgirl

That sounds like a good choice - you should find Trafalgar Falls interesting. Enjoy!