Dominica from PHL

Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Dominica from PHL

We are looking to go to Dominica next winter from Philadelphia. I know we can't get there direct but I'm interested in getting at least the first leg of trip using frequent flier miles. I need to do that real early but don't know the best island to fly through to get the best choice of flights to Dominica. Is Antigua best or Barbados or even San Juan. It's hard as the local airlines change schedules so often it's hard to tell by next winter. Also Caribbean Sun I think shut down so San Juan isn't really serviced as well at least to Dominica. Any ideas or thoughts?? thanks
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:36 AM
cw

You don't say what airline your miles are on but since American Eagle flies to Dominica, I would fly with them and go through San Juan. It is hard to predict, as you say, what the local airline schedule will be next year, but American Eagle is pretty consistent with their island flights.

CW
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

OH thanks I forgot US Airways! I could go to SJU on UsAir but did notice the American Eagle flight leaves SJU for DOM at 12:45 PM already so don't think I'd make that. I only saw one per day. It might be that we can't get there is one day either at least on way down. Liat I think had 4 from Antigua that's why I thought maybe that would work, but none are late enough to make connection from PHL in one day.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:29 AM
cw

That's too bad about it taking two days. Then maybe Antigua would be the way to go since it would be much less crowded and easier to deal with the security and the next day's flight out.

Maybe someone who has done your connection will chime in with their experience.

I've always wanted to go to Dominica so I'm interested in what other answers you get. Do you know where you'll be staying?

CW
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

thanks cw, plan to stay at Jungle Bay resort with the Adventure package they offer.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:57 PM

There are frequent flights to Dominica with LIAT from Barbados, Antigua and St Lucia. Carib Aviation also offers a frequent shuttle between Dominica, St Lucia and Antigua, and they fly into the Canefield Airport which is just outside of Roseau.
Fabulous island which you will enjoy - so many things to do - lots of hiking opportunities, very rugged. Cabrits National Park in the north of the island is a "must do", and check out The Tomato Cafe if in Portsmouth and the River Rock Cafe on the way to Trafalgar Falls (another must do). Always use a guide for any hiking as flash flooding or rivers is a reality. Fresh water lake, sulphur springs - so much to do, so little time. There is lots of info at www.destinationcaribbean.net to whet your appetite.
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:20 AM

Since you are flying USAirways, I'd suggest Antigua, which is LIAT's main hub. St. Lucia offers many good connections, but you'd have to change airports from Vigie to Castries, and that would eat up hours of time and energy. I'm not sure if there are any nonstops from Barbados to Dominica.
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:01 PM

Think there is only one non stop per day between Barbados and Dominica, other flights stop in Antigua.
Apr 16th, 2007, 03:25 PM

I can't help with flight suggestions to Dominica since I was there last week on a cruise. But I will say it is a wonderful island if you are looking for adventure. We booked a one day tour with Levi at www.bumpiingtours.com- his collegue Garyr was our guide- he met us at our ship and we went to the Emerald Lake, Trafalgar falls, the sulphur springs and went snorkeling at the Champagne beach. Driving around the island was like a scene out of Jurassic Park- dense rain forest and jungle. I would love to return- see the Gorge, go rafting with Wacky rollers, do the zip line and visit the native Indians that live on the North end of the island. We just could not do it all in one day. You will love it there! Also, while we were there we saw the Black Pearl sailboat from the movie Pirates in the Caribbean docked near Champagne beach(currently they are filming Survivor Dominica on the island and the crew & we think maybe the contestants area staying on the Black Pearl
Apr 17th, 2007, 04:39 AM

Wow, Survivor is going to be on Dominica? I will look forward to that installment.
Apr 17th, 2007, 08:17 AM

I live in Philadelphia, just returned from my honeymoon on Dominica. Oddly enough, we stayed at Jungle Bay. Happy to answer any questions you might have. It is a fantastic island with so much to see and do. Jungle Bay is a gem of a resort, definitely go with the spa adventure package as it is a great deal.

We flew American Eagle through San Juan with minimal problems.
Apr 17th, 2007, 12:01 PM

anyway you can get to Dominica, just get there!
why not fly early from Newark or PHilly to SJU and then on to Dominica same day?
that is goign to beat wasting a day in some other island just to switch planes.
if you're thinking about places to stay papilotte (good) and beau rive (knock out!) both get thumbs up from me.
May 16th, 2007, 10:36 AM

I'm stopping in Dominica on a cruise for the first time. Any suggestions of where to go if you only have one day? I know Emerald Pool and Trafalgar Falls are nice but are they worth the time or is there something better?
May 21st, 2007, 06:48 AM

Both are nice attractions, but since Dominica is so "up and down" topographically speaking, many of the really great places require a lot of travelling. If you only have one day, your best best is to visit one of the attractions closest to the ferry dock.