Search

Dolphin attractions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dolphin attractions

Going to Punta Cana in a few weeks, Oct 5. My son wants to swim with dolphin's. I've looked on line and found both Dolphin Island and Manati Park. Both of these attractions have been given horrible reviews from folks all over the world about the dolphin's are neglected, aggressive, parks are in shambles, etc..I looked at Ocean World in Puerta Plata, which got excellent reviews, but that is a little far. Does anybody know anything in between? or suggestions? Thanks
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 04:37 AM

My suggestion is to do little research on Swim With The Dophins facilities the world over and learn about the tragically shortened lives of the dolphins who are enslaved in these facilities. You may well change your mind about wanting to give money to such agencies.

Our granddaughter wanted more than anything to do a SWTD program on her first trip to the Caribbean. Sharing just a few details with her about how the dolphins are obtained and what happens to them made he change her own mind about wanting to do it. Perhaps your son will feel the same.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 04:55 AM

I have always wanted to swim with dolphins too but have since learned the plight of those poor animals in dolphin programs. Please give your son the best present and teach him about conservation and preservation.
This WSPA link gives some excellent information.
http://www.wspa-usa.org/pages/272_wh..._dolphins_.cfm
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:09 AM

I don't have any problems with swim-with-dolphin programs per se, but I can't recommend either of these places. Skip it for this trip.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 03:46 PM

I too would skip it in Dominican Republic.

Some of the best (and most legit) places to do it are UNEXSO in Grand Bahama, and at Paradise Island in the Bahamas.

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 04:24 AM

Ocean World is owned by the same company that has the one in the Bahama's. It is a pristine park and the dolphins are in a huge salt water lagoon and very well looked after. It is an 8 hour drive from Punta Cana or an expensive flight to Puerto Plata from PUJ.

I do not recommend either of the facilities in Punta Cana
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 05:52 AM

bottom line is these are captive animals. there is just no excuse for it. they take female dolphins as they are easier to manage. this may leave unattended babies to fend for themselves in the open ocean. they die.
please do not do this.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Ocean World is one of the few parks that has dolphins that were born there. the dolphins they bring in have a much better chance of life there than they would ever have had in the wilds.

Have a look at this video and see what you think about captivity.

http://www.glumbert.com/media/dolphin
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 03:36 AM

What is the appeal of these dolphin swims? I'm clueless. Are these specifically marketed to children in the US?

All anyone ever talks about is swimming with the dolphins. I grew up with Flipper (figuratively..hehehe)and never had the urge to do this.

Clue me in.

Peace, Greenie