Search

Dohm's Water Taxi Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dohm's Water Taxi Advice?

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can give me the insight on Dohm's as well as car service/taxi to the Dohm boat? I know others have mentioned using this route, can you let me know if this is a good way to go or what you would recommend for getting to STJ from STT?

Thank you kindly!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 02:18 AM
owa

Go to my trip report from the last couple weeks. I have a paragraph on getting to and from ST. John. Owa

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 06:35 AM

owa,
Do you have to have a minimum number of people to get that rate? We were thinking of going that route with another couple our next trip.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Owa. Do you have the contact info for Christophers and Dohms that you can lend me?

thanks again!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi Owa and Brendan,

I called Christopher's and they said I did not need a reservation and to simply go to the dispatcher at the airport? This does not seem right to me - is there a special area that says Dohms at the airport?

thanks!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 05:01 PM

I have been randomly trying to find info on Dohm's for a while. I found two differnet web sites with two different numbers. No "actual" website for Dohm's although I could swear I found one in the past. The #'s are (340) 775-9257 and (340) 775-6501. One of the sites said $90 for up to 6 people from STT to STJ leaving from the dock of your choice. Seems to me I read recently that it only leaves from Red Hook now.

Not sure, but I don't think Christopher's and Dohm's are directly related. I never even looked for a sign that said Christopher's at the airport. We have just gone to the dispatch desk and asked for a taxi and told them our destination. They are surprisingly efficent in that respect. I normally wouldn't bother with this just for the two of us, but as I said, we might share with another couple if the price is right. If it is just the two of you, I would probably just go with the public ferry and taxi system unless you feel like splurging a little. We tend to be a little more budget minded since we like to go alot.

What time does your flight get in? If it coincides with the Charlotte Amalie ferry times that is a good deal. Less taxi time, more on the water time. It does run less frequently. Any way you look at it, the ferry system with bags is a minor pain But, it's paradise. You can check out vinow.com for all of the ferry schedules.

Let me know if you make some calls and find anything out. Hopefully owa will chime in.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 05:35 AM
owa

Hi, Sorry for the late response. I went on a short road trip with some lady friends to celebrate my birthday. Aren't women friends the best!!

Someone on another board said that Dohm's web site is down. I tried to find it and couldn't. They definitely have one.

You can call them at 340.775.6501
Rate is $20 per person for the Water Taxi .

You are picked up at the old National Park dock in Red Hook, not downtown and taken to the national park dock on St John.

There is a $100 min. and it takes 10 minutes to cross and leaves as soon as you get loaded.

The boats vary in size from 10 passenger up to about 30 I think. Typically they are doing private trips but you can let them know you are open to others travelling BUT then you may have to wait for them....which kind of defeats the whole purpose imho. You can't just randomly come up with people at the airport either as they need to know in advance if you will have more people. If you have more they have to assign a crew member to the trip to comply with US Coast Guard Regs and that needs to be done ahead.
[email protected]

Christopher's Taxi is 340-690-1581.

Land Taxi: $15 per person. Christopher Taxi will meet you at the airport.
He carries a "Christopher Taxi" sign and will be standing just outside of the luggage area near the public taxi dispatch stand.

Also, look into the St. John Shuttle as an alternative to Dohm's. They have 2 taxis running back and forth to STT and are a tiny bit cheaper than Dohm's. The two businesses don't really "compete" as they often pass fares along to each other when their respective fleets are booked.

St. John Shuttle 340-774-BOAT

I hope this helps. owa

Old Aug 31st, 2007, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the info, owa. I'll look into it. Did you have to tip Dohm's? If so, how much?
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 02:53 AM
owa

I did, but I don't know why--$20. There was a crew of two (captain & girlfriend). My strong teen grandsons did all the suitcases. I tipped Christopher very well because he stopped at the grocery store in STT. Plus, he had personality!! Owa Have a great Labor Day Weekend.