Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Does Bermuda have beautiful beaches with turquiose water? Also, can you get sick from drinking their water?

Search

Does Bermuda have beautiful beaches with turquiose water? Also, can you get sick from drinking their water?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Susan

1) Does Bermuda have beautiful beaches with turquiose water? <BR><BR>2) Can you get sick from drinking their water?<BR><BR>3) When months are the best to visit when the water temperature is still warm to swim, but we don't want scorching land temperatures.<BR><BR>We are looking for somewhere new to visit. Already been to Aruba a few times.<BR><BR>Thank you thank you thank you!<BR><BR>

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Lauren

Bermuda is absolutely beautiful.<BR>The sand on some beaches is actually pink and the water is turquoise.<BR><BR>I don't think you can get sick from drinking the water there. I didn't at least. Of course, you can get sick anywhere from eating or drinking anything but if you are thinking of using bottled water to brush your teeth, I don't think that's necessary.<BR>Of course, you could always just drink Rum Swizzles instead. <BR><BR>We were there in October and the weather was still warm enough to swim and get sunburned.<BR><BR>It's a beautiful island - and quite wealthy and pristine.<BR><BR>Enjoy!

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Gerry

Bermuda is about the classiest and safest of all the islands in the Caribbean or Atlantic.<BR>Worry not.<BR>A wonderful island.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Bill

just a quick reply to Gerry's post above.<BR><BR>Bermuda is not any safer than the rest of the Caribbean.<BR><BR>Recently, a Canadian girl was kidnapped and killed in Bermuda.<BR><BR>Not to scare anyone - but things can happen anywhere. Caution is a must everywhere you go.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 09:34 AM
anon

The beach I saw (Elbow Beach) was beautiful, with interesting rocky cliffs in places. The water was turquoise near shore, deep blue farther out, and the sand had a slight pinkish cast to it, especially at the water line. (Supposedly deeper pink on some other beaches--maybe Church Bay?) When you pick some up you can see coral-colored flecks in it. The water was certainly clearer than anything I ever saw on the U.S. East Coast, but maybe not as clear as on some other islands. I hope to see crystal clear water in Turks and Caicos in February! <BR><BR>We were there at the end of June, and it was pretty hot, getting up to 90 sometimes. Fine for the beach but a little much for sightseeing. I think August and September were supposed to be even hotter.<BR><BR>I had no problem with the tap water, and didn't hear of anyone else having a problem.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Gerry

Bill, you need to look up the word anecdote in the dictionary.<BR>What you're citing is called an anecdotal report.<BR>It is considered worthless and useless in journalism and scientific circles because it fails to provide a reliable portrayal of 'the big picture'.<BR>Bermuda has considerably less crime than the populous islands of the Bahamas, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, St Martin, Martinique, Trinidad.<BR><BR>If you have some useful data to share, please do so.<BR><BR>Please refrain from posting 'scare messages' that are not factual.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Dave

I was in Bermuda in March and the water was warm enough to get in, but I certainly wouldn't say it was warm. Land temps were 55 low at night to 80 high at midday. Bermuda is in the middle of the Gulf Stream, so the water is always fairly warm.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 10:57 AM
alison

Bermuda is much farther north than the Caribbean islands so you should go in the summer time to get warm temps. It's never scorching. The island is still owned by Britain, so has a strong British influence. Horseshoe Bay is beautiful. Have a nice trip !

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 11:30 AM
liza

http://travel.state.gov/travel_warnings.html<BR><BR>...Bermuda has some warnings, as does every country they cover.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 12:06 PM
JMM

Actually Bill's message was factual - the incident he mentions occurred a couple of years ago and was widely reported in Canadian newspapers - sorry I cannot give you any more details but I have a strong recollection of reading about this incident. HOWEVER - it is most certainly my understanding that Bermuda is for the most part an extremely safe place. My recollection of the reports was that this poor girl actually knew the person and unfortunately for her - she trusted the wrong person - this can happen anywhere.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 12:14 PM
penny

Bermuda has some of the best beaches and clearest water. I have been there many many times. We travel to the caribbean, but always feel this island has the clearest water! The water temp is great in October, so warm. We often go in the late fall, dance around the hurricanes, Late May-June is a wonderful time too, September can be very humid. Never had a problem with the drinking water. It is unlike any caribbean island, as it has stately homes, winding roads, lovely coral walls, gardens-it is a sophisticated<BR>little gem. Still one of my favortes! Lots to see and do!

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Jill

Bermuda is beautiful. We were there in August &amp; stayed at the Pompnano Beach Club. The water by our hotel was great, pefrectly clear &amp; turquiose. Horseshoe Bay also was beautiful.<BR>Very wealthy island. We never felt unsafe &amp; the people are extremely friendly.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Fran

1) yes, the beaches are beautiful and the water is turquoise. Coming in for the landing is breathtaking, all the little pastel buildings with white roofs and the gorgeous colored ocean in the background. And when you get off the plane the air smells so fresh and clean.<BR><BR>2) I get sick everytime I go to Mexico but did not get sick in Bermuda. I didn't drink the water because it was collected in a cistern where we stayed. But we brushed our teeth using it with no problems.<BR><BR>3) not sure of the best months but we went in October and it was too cold for us. We didn't enjoy swimming because the water was too cold.<BR><BR>4) We've been to Aruba too and loved it as well. Bermuda is not as windy as Aruba. You can't rent a car in Bermuda but you can rent a scooter if you dare. Saw lots of skinned up people in the airport. We just used the bus and the ferry, both were great. <BR><BR>I disagree with the post that said Bermuda is no safer than any of the Caribbean islands. It's not 100% safe but it does have a lower rate of violent crime compared to for example Jamaica. (Not bashing Jamaica, just making a comparison) Bermuda is not actually considered part of the Caribbean and it's very different than most Caribbean islands I've been to. More formal and polite and proper. I guess the British influence. Anyway, I loved it.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 12:22 AM
Greg

Bermuda is a WONDERFUL island for all the reasons stated. And just for the record, from what I can remember, the Canadian girl who was murdered hopped on the back of a moped with a total Jamaican stranger she met at a bar at 2:00a.m. in the morning! I'm certainly not saying she deserved it, but I really don't think she was being very WISE, either!!

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 07:20 AM
Sharon

The recent issue of Caribbean Travel &amp; Life listed Horseshoe Beach in Bermuda as one of the ten best in the Caribbean.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Jay

To Bill and others: the unfortunate situation you refer to with the Canadian girl who was raped and murdered occurred a few years ago. She and a friend had been to a party and when the party ended, very late in the night, they had no transportation home. Three fellows came along on motorbikes and offered them rides. The other girl left with one fellow and got home safely. The murdered girl left with two young men and unfortunately did not make it home. A terrible situation, compounded by some slick legal work, to add insult to injury.<BR>As for the water: Bermuda has no fresh water supply. Drinking water comes from the sky- i.e. rain. Houses have catchments under them, to collect the rain. Much of the water in hotel taps is de-salinated sea water and hotels will post a sign in the bathroom if it is unsafe to drink. De-salinated seawater is fine for bathing, showering, brushing teeth. If you are very sensitive, don't drink it.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Maria

Have been to Bermuda 3 times. My favorite time is late September. Kids are back in school, weather is still warm, and water temperature is still great for swimming, snorkeling, etc. Mostly honeymooners then. Drank the water every trip with no problem. As far as crime goes, I always felt very safe there. We rented a scooter and went everywhere. Locals are very friendly. Very well run government. There seemed to be a lot of civic pride and tourists are very welcomed. Beaches are beautiful, clean, pink sand, tourquoise water. British influence is very obvious. Super place to visit!

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 12:05 AM
Tom

Jay, the water in Bermuda is VERY safe to drink and I've NEVER seen signs posted in ANY hotels questioning their safety, so stop LYING!!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Jay

Great, Tom - you must have stayed at every hotel on the island then, to make such a claim and accuse me of lying. Get a grip, man!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Cheryl

Bermuda is very safe relative to other Carribean destinations. The beaches are beautiful and the water is turquiose blue. The best months to visit for great beach weather (and to avoid hurricane season) is May/June. You should not have any problems drinking the water there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -