Search

Diving in February

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diving in February

My family and I will be in Grand Cayman mid February and are looking to do some diving. We were certified last year at Turks & Caicos but do not have a lot of experience. We would be looking for an uncrowded boat with a good crew that would be attentive to our "beginner" status. Any help out there?
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 06:02 AM

Cayman has very easy diving conditions, so don't stress over having a lack of experience. You would do well with most operators. Personally, I would avoid the big cattle boats and go with a smaller organization, but the big operators have lots of experience dealing with hoards of tourists. I avoid those operators like the plague, but some people like them. To each his own.

The two places I highly recommend are Ocean Frontiers on East End and Off the Wall Divers, which runs boats from Seven Mile Beach or the Yacht Club (North Wall diving). Ocean Frontiers has a limit of 20 divers per boat, if I am not mistaken, and Off The Wall Divers has one small boat that holds about 10 divers.

The best diving in Grand Cayman is on the East End or the North Wall, so if you can get to either place, you will really see Cayman diving at its best. Have fun!
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 11:18 AM

The Reef Resort (my place) are partners with Ocean Frontiers, so we think they are awesome, but don't take my word for it, check the Rodales reader reviews....top dive operator in Grand Cayman six years running, and many other awards.

If you are staying at the 7MB end of the island though, I would also recommend DiveTech, based at Cobalt Coast resort.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Does Ocean Frontier's have hotel pick-ups and how do I get in touch with them.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Ocean Frontiers does do hotel pickups, see www.oceanfrontiers.com for contact info.... but if you are going to dive with them, I would suggest staying in the area....
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 07:56 AM

Unless you want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere, you would probably prefer to be closer to civilization by staying on or close to 7 Mile Beach. Ocean Frontiers can pick you up and drop you off each morning and then you can return to civilization each afternoon.

With all due respect to Tom, it seems as though he works for or manages a property in East End and has a vested interest in encouraging you to stay out there. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are REALLY looking to get away from it all.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 06:48 PM

I do indeed run The Reef resort and make no secret of it, but I do try to be objective.

Ocean Frontiers (our partners) have been voted the top dive operator in Grand Cayman six years running by Rodales Scuba Diving readers, so that is objective

True enough we are in a quiet area of Grand Cayman, so it all depends if you like that.

If you prefer to stay on Seven Mile Beach, check out www.divecayman.ky for full information on dive operators