Search

Dining in St. Thomas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:27 AM
vickie

Dining in St. Thomas

I know I've seen some earlier posts that mentioned some good restaurants in St. Thomas but I can't find them now. Can some of you give me recommendations on good indoor and outdoor cafes/restaurants both casual and upscale? I'd also like to hear about any good nighttime hangouts with live local music (not dance clubs or disco bars).<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 01:47 PM
Nikki

When I went to St. Thomas my mother and I went to Victor's Lookout. I might have the name slightly incorrect but if you asked the concierge, they would know. It was on a hilltop overlooking the island. It wasn't crowded or expensive. It was our last night there and I was very satisfied. I think you would be too.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 02:46 PM
Linda

Vickie,<BR> The name of that restaurant is Victor's New Hideout. We had some time to kill before hitting the airport and discovered this place.It's a 5 min taxi to airport. The view isn't so great- up on a hill looking out over an old Navy dock- but the food was great, reasonable and they were so nice there!It's open,spacious, breezy and very Caribbean in feel. Owner came and sat with us to chitchat for awhile. This isn't a real fancy or upscale place, but it really is worth a visit.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 03:08 PM
Linda

Sorry to double-post, but I had a friend who told me the best meal she'd ever had was in a place called Raffle's. I checked it on Fodor's Rant and Raves and found everyone else had the same opinion. Also reminded me to rate Victor's, LOL

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 03:22 PM
denette

Vickie,<BR>if you go to U.S. Virgin Islands in this forum, and go to "Eating in St. Thomas" dated 1-29, and "Looking for good restaurants in St. Thomas" dated 1-28, you will find many suggestions.<BR><BR>We were there in June 2000 and the places we ate were all great, they were as follows"<BR><BR>A Whale of a Tale - in Red Hook right on the docks<BR><BR>Sopchoppy - in Red Hook, upstairs over the docks - great pizza, calzones<BR><BR>Raffles - absolutely wonderful food, great presentation, eclectic atmosphere, open mike night - was great entertainment<BR><BR>Blue Moon - at Secret Harbour- great food, great view, children can go and play on beach right at your feet while adults finish dinner/drinks<BR>We were told needed reservations, but we were only one of three tables the whole time we were there.<BR><BR>Agave Terrace - absolutely stunning view, get a table out on deck overlooking water/islands, food was WONDERFUL, service the very best we have ever had anywhere, the desserts were all fantastic(Snoball,Key Lime cake, chocolate cake with choc. filling with fudge topping). You definitely need reservations at this one, even a day ahead if possible. This was most expensive place we ate at.<BR>Hope this helps.<BR>