dining & day trips in st. thomas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to St. Thomas next week staying at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef. I am looking for good restaurants that are easy to get to (will not have a car)from the Marriott. My wife and I will be traveling with 13 yo daughter. Also looking for any day trip suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:31 AM

tobycat,

I may be wrong, but I think that other than the restaurants at the FR, there aren't any restaurants that are "close" to the FR. However, there is a water taxi that leaves right from the FR that goes to downtown Charlotte Amalie. Also, there were taxis at the lobby every time we walked by to get to our car. Most have set rates for going to Charlotte Amalie or Red Hook.

We took a day trip on a boat with a company called Pirates Penny and Stormy Petrel. The full-day trip started in Red Hook, made a stop in St. John, and eventually made it to the Baths. We had lunch on a different island and stopped to go snorkeling on yet another island. There were only 12 of us on the boat (counting the crew), so it was really personalized. It wasn't the cheapest thing we did on our trip, but compared to renting a boat ourselves it was reasonable. Our 14 year old and 11 year old both considered it to be the highlight of our trip.

Have a good time!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 11:16 AM

An excellent seaside candlelit dinner can be had at Tavern on the Beach at adjoining Morningstar, if it is open in July. Herve's in downtown Charlotte Amalie is also very good. Excellent food and wine list, with a beautiful view. It is just a short taxi ride away. I do not believe the water taxi runs at night, and it is better to have a road taxi take you directly there.

Windows at Frenchman's Reef also has an outstanding view. While enjoying breakfast, it is fun to see the cruise ships close by as they round the cliff preparing to dock.

I also enjoyed lunch poolside at FR. The sensational view is straight from a travel log.

New Horizons II also offers great day trips. Other day trips can be arranged through the hotel. I enjoyed the tour of St. Thomas arranged through them.

I suggest going to St. John if you can. - Extrodinary beaches. Have a wonderful trip!

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 03:30 PM

Greetings! We recommend sailing with Captain Max on her lovely sailboat, 'Lou'. She does a wonderful sail and snorkel trip around StJ, makes a delicious lunch on board, and provides top notch snorkeling equipment (her DH runs a dive shop on STT). We cruise Celebrity each January, and if STT is one of our ports, we book her every time. She has a website with pictures--google or lukol 'captain max st thomas'to find her. If you have questions, I'd be glad to answer back.
moondoggie (not a spring chick either!)
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. We are looking forward to our trip.