Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Did MOSQUITOES bug you in Antigua, Jamaica or St. Lucia?

Old Nov 9th, 1997, 03:35 PM
M. Lane

I am considering taking my two young sons to Antigua, Jamaica or St. Lucia next July or August. Can anyone comment on whether mosquitoes will be a problem on those islands at that time of year? I had a terrible time with mosquitoes at Caneel Bay on St. Johns in the late spring a few years back. Thanks.

Old Nov 9th, 1997, 05:26 PM
Steve Baker

We were in St.Lucia in early Mar.95 and while dining in an open-air enviroment, or at any other
time, can I remember even seeing any sort of flying
insects. the Island is spectacular.

Old Nov 10th, 1997, 08:37 AM
Jean E. Bowers

The only time I have been aware of a bug problem was in Jamaica between Oct. 25 and Nov. 1 of this year. I was in Montego Bay Jamaica and the mosquitoes were terrible. Even the people that used something found bites all over after spending any time outdoors in the evening or night. During the summer June, July or August there was no problem at all. The hotel had bug zappers and citronella candles but they had littel effect on the mosquitoes because there were so many.

Old Nov 16th, 1997, 08:18 AM
nan

I was in Antiqua at New year's (Dec 26 to Jan 5)and there were no bug problems at all. I took my bug repellent and never used it. No fleas either. May depend on time of year. Summer is much more humid and more likely for bugs. I attract bugs so I can say I am a good source for judging this type of problem.
Just wear sunscreen all day!!!Expecially for children.Stay away from those with too much "smell" and you will also attract less bugs. Start with spf 30 and work you way down.

Old Nov 21st, 1997, 07:03 PM
Horst Hlawaty

Have been to all three islands between April and Nobember on several occasions and nerver saw any mosquitos. Occasional you may run into some red ants at at the beaches in St. Lucia.