Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Shore Excursions to Bahamas - What's BEST?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 1997, 08:27 AM
Lethia

We're cruising with 2 teens on Carnival to Nassau and Freeport to see what cruising's like. The shore excursions look tantalizing but add a hefty price for all the 4 of us want to do. Is the Deepstar Submarine, Dolphin Experience, or Stingray City worth it? Can snokelers really pet stingrays? What did you see in the submarine 100 feet down? (Enough to warrant the $270 it would cost us?) Where do I go to see colorful tropical fish? (Too late, can't cancel and go to Cozumel!) Is there a snorkel tour that is especially excellent?
I don't want to spend so much on shore excursions that it costs as much as if we'd done a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean! (Already dreaming of that one!)

Also, has any one used their Fodor's guide and booked their own adventures...then ended up regretting they didn't just go on the ship's shore excursion?? I've had so much fun planning this that I could cancel now and feel like I've had the vacation!

Old Nov 11th, 1997, 07:27 PM
leah

A cheaper alternative to the high priced ship tours is to see what the taxi drivers at the pier have to offer. They usually offer the same tours for half the price. Also, one of the nicer beaches in Nassau is Atlantis Hotel (it's public). For snorkeling--you can rent equipment on the ship and take their snorkeling trips or ask the shore excursion desk for the best locations for snorkeling. Have a great trip!

Old Nov 12th, 1997, 10:17 AM
Kathy

Lethia

We are also planning a trip on Carnival to Nassau and Freeport ( in December). We have the same questions about ports and what there is to do. We also are traveling with a teenage son. We would like to try the snorkeling. Are travel agent tells use that the cruise line will answer our questions on board ????

Old Nov 12th, 1997, 05:05 PM
Viola

Leah
Thanks so much for your advice on saving money while touring in the Bahamas. You seem to know what you are talking about. I am definitely going to check tqaxi prices whenwe arrive at our various ports.

Old Nov 13th, 1997, 09:10 PM
Lethia(novice)

Thanks for your advice! Our travel agent advises booking excursions before the cruise. He says the popular ones go fast. Carnival faxed a description of shore tours. They're 20 to 30%25 higher than prices listed in Fodor's '97 Bahamas guide book, but after adding for taxi, the cost may be the same. When I find out, I'll let you know! Foder's lists a popular dolphin experience - you can actually swim with dolphins - which the cruise tours didn't list. Sounds FUN!

Old Nov 22nd, 1997, 06:24 AM
Bayclipper

Regarding stingray city, if you mean in the Cayman's I went there a number of years ago as a diver, and yet, you do pet the stingrays. They give you extra weight so that you are negatively bouyant, then give you some squid and/or cheeze and the stingrays swarm in and playfully take what you feed them. The water depth was only 12 feet and snorkels were overhead, so I'd say yes you can "pet" or feed the stingrays if you can hold your breath. So popular that photographers will video tape your experience..if desired, about 30$ US.
Regards
G-