destination wedding

Oct 13th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

destination wedding

hi, just got engaged and we want to just run off to avoid the massive expense of a wedding as well as the drama and stress etc... Plus I would rather spend the money on a great trip but I want this to be really as affordable as possible... like in the 3500-4000 max USD range... air, hotel, wedding....

I have been looking at requirements and it appears that Barbados is the easiest (no wait period) but sadly I found a link here for this place ( http://www.tikaye.com/tikaye.htm ) and now really want to find something as special as this st lucia cottage place but in an area where we would not end up spending something like $4500 or more...

So here's the question...

1. has anyone here done a desitination wedding and can tips to help me along? where did you go etc...

2. anyone know of inexpensive and secluded spots that are romantic and on islands that are easy to get hitched on? (exclude Puerto Rico, Aruba, US Virgin Island... possibly others...)

thanks gang... this forum has already been a great help!
Oct 13th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

OH! I also want to be in a nice snorkle area... possibly get scuba certified.... and maybe a nice historical site or 2 to visit - like plantation or rum factory... or something else perhaps.
Oct 13th, 2006, 04:07 PM

No waiting period in Cayman either... and much better snorkelling and ideal for scuba certification, plus closer to the USA... just a thought

What time of year are you planning to run off ? You can keep costs to the lowest by either going in the fall (up to about Dec 15th), or then after Easter.... mid April to end of May is peak time for "weddingmoons" in Cayman.
Oct 16th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

actually we just settled on October 2007 so the costs would be lower... caymen's added to the research list... any ideas/comments on St Kitts? they dont have a waiting period as well
Oct 16th, 2006, 08:09 AM

Congrats! When I was planning my wedding, I used the message boards at theknot.com- super helpful!!! They have an entire section for destination wedding. Happy planning!
Oh, I do know that Sandals and Couples resorts do weddings for free (I think) Might be something to consider
Oct 21st, 2006, 08:17 PM

My destination wedding was to St. Lucia. We stayed at Stonefield Estates and Sandals. We were married at Sandals because our wedding did not cost any more $$$ like it would at the other resorts. We are going to Ti Kaye next month.

You could stay at Ti Kaye in an oceanview cottage and still be in the $4,000 range for a week. Your room would be $1860 with taxes plus air and food and your wedding. It is doable to stay within your budget. You could also look at Stonefield - similar accommodations to Ti Kaye, even better views, gorgeous grounds, very private, plunge pools and costs a little less.

Good luck whatever you decide.