five star beach and culture

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are eurofiles, but we want a warm winter vacation can you suggest anything in the caribbean which is beach but more also, culture, ambience sophistication....
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 07:41 AM

You might like the atmosphere of St. Barthelemy (St. Barths), which many people claim would be more akin to the French Riviera than its Caribbean surroundings. During the winter, it is very expensive, but if you can afford it, you might be happiest there. It's the getaway spot of the Beautiful People, but there is also fine food, good shopping, and sophistication.

You might also enjoy Barbados, which still maintains a strong British feel, but overall feels more Caribbean-y than St. Barths. Stick to the west coast for beautiful beaches and resorts. Stick to the south coast for a livelier atmosphere.

Puerto Rico offers culture and history in abundance, but its beaches aren't as nice as some of the other islands in the Caribbean.

What is your price range, where are you flying from, how long do you want to stay, and can you give us a few more specifics in terms of what you would like for your warm winter vacation?
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 03:30 PM

I agree with ejcrowe that St. Barts would be just right. It is warm Caribbean with an upscale, sophisticated atmosphere and great restaurants. We have stayed at a couple of resorts there, and our favorite is Isle de France. It is right on Flamands Beach, which imo is the best beach on the island. The accomodations and service are outstanding and the food at the restaurant is delicious with a nice variety. Definitely go -- you will love it!
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

thanks just topping,isle de france is completely booked, price is no object fortunately
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 05:55 PM

You might look into some of the Island Outpost locations www.islandoutpost.com

There are also several nice places on Harbour Island that might fit the bill, like Dunsmore Beach Club, Rock House and Runaway Hill.

Try www.briland.com and www.myharbourisland for more info.

Also:
www.rockhousebahamas.com
www.coralsands.com
www.romorabay.com

Have a great time.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 05:48 AM

I'd actually recommend Martinique, possible at the Club Med, as strange as that might sound. The Club Med there is one of the more sophisticated, upscale resorts that the company has introduced lately (another is in Marrakech). And Martinique has interesting (and very French) culture ... more so than St. Barths, which has the atmosphere and ambience of the French Riviera but (in my opinion, at least) not as much cultural interest. Though it's full of sophistication. You don't have to do an AI in Martinique; there are lots of relatively luxurious resorts there that might be right up your alley.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 06:10 AM

On St. Barths, take a look at Guanahani and Eden Rock. I've not been to either one, but my husband and I have friends who love both of those places. You could also consider a luxury villa with a staff instead of a hotel. Take a look at www.wimco.com for a nice array.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 06:23 AM

LOVE ST. Bart's. Perfect for a eurofile!!! I live in the Caribbean and it is the perfect getaway from our little island without leaving the region. The Cost is high, but as you said no object so you will be perfectly happy there. The beaches are nice and the food is great. The service is European as well as the inhabitants. You will be in Paris with palm trees. Good Luck.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 10:37 AM

I would suggest Curacao, it has a very European feel to it, it's like a little Amsterdam -- really good food, lots of historical sites, the City of Willemstad is very interesting. We stayed at the Marriott and thought it was a good value and a nice beach resort, however for something a bit more upscale and unique take a look at the Kura Hulanda Hotel and the Kura Hulanda Lodge and Beach Club.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 11:38 AM

On top of the sophistication and above all safety of St Barts, the dining is unparalelled any where in the Caribbean.

I recommend the menu dégustation at the Carl Gustav. Best meal of my life!
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 01:15 PM

not to mention the martinis with the great view...love Carl Gustaf
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 01:58 PM

We rented a villa in the L'Orient area of St. Barts last May and did some extensive exploring in preparation for our next trip. While all the beaches had their own charm, we preferred St. Jean beach. Next time we will stay at Les Ilets de la Plage, off on the private side of St. Jean, but close enough to stroll down the beach to where the action is: the bar at Tom Beach Hotel, or Eden Rock. Here is their website (check out their new villa Stephanie - WOW!):
http://www.lesilets.com/accommodation/beach_villas.html
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 04:59 PM

The reported luxury resort on Martinique is Cap Est Lagoon Resort & Spa. The prices certainly reflect that. www.capest.com
I have not stayed at that particular resort so can't give you any real advice. I'm sure there are some reviews of it on Trip Advisor.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a million for the replies
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Just one more note from Montreal martinique is 20 hrs flying maybe something with 12 hrs max fro spring break