Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Destination not for couples or families?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother and I (28 & 26) are looking for a Caribbean getaway and would enjoy advice on destinations. We're both single so would prefer somewhere not geared towards couples and families. At the same time, we don't want a crazy place that feels like spring break year round.

We'd love to do all-inclusive and I've seen many packages for around $1,000+ which would be fine for us. Beach access, nice pool, restaurants and bars to go to at night and meet people would all be great things to have! We'd prefer the Caribbean over Mexico, any suggestions??? Thanks!
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 03:41 PM

There are lots of club meds and the crowds they attract vary greatly from island to island.

You should be able to find one that fits your bill.

Deb
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 04:56 PM

there are club meds in bahamas, t&c, punta cana, guadeloupe & martinique. none of those islands are spring breaky. club med tourquoise would offer best snorkeling. martinique might have best bars - but none of these are around $1000 - more like $2000.
other than hang on the beach, do you want to do mainly nighttime stuff? if so aruba might be a great choice, as oranjestad has quite a nightlife.

another option might be st. thomas. bolongo beach resort might suit you well. st. t has lots to do day & night, lots of dining options.
if you're interested in day stuff (excursions,sports) what are they?

if you will consider mexico look at ai's or resorts near playa del carman which is about an hour south of cancun airport.

however, if you want to try out an islands restaurant & bars you don't want an ai. you pay to stay,eat,drink at the club so if you go out to eat or party you'll be wasting cash.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 06:30 PM

The time of year will impact the cost. I just looked at Club Med and they have deals now that run $99 a night. As soon as August is over, it is low season until the end of the year at Caribbean Club Med. They are tamer too.

Columbus Isle in Bahamas seems like it might be what you are looking for.

In another life I worked at Club Med. It can be as quiet as you want or party like, if that is what you want.

Deb
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 09:10 PM

you can think about Barbados i think that is the best island in the caribbean,crystal clear water,and nice sandy beaches,with some of the best resturants in the caribbean,you can also choose a wide range of AI resorts, for me i prefer self catering,i get more for my money and i am more free to do what ever i want and whenever.You can go to Perfect Places.com / Rentalo.com for mainly self catering villas etc.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 05:59 AM

I don't have specific AI recs for you, but I would think that Negril, Jamaica, would be a good fit for you and your brother. gorgeous 7-mile beach with a ton of beach bars and casual restaurants strung up & down it. plus the Cliffs side of Negril, with Rick's Cafe and the chic bar at Rockhouse.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

@virginia - i'd be more interested in relaxing pool/oceanside during the day than being very active.

@ejcrowe - been to negril and loved it! wish there were more AI resorts there so i probably won't go back this trip, would like to try somewhere new.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 03:21 PM

Negril Jamaica, you can do something decent like Riu Negril. Did pineapple (owned by sandals chain)for about 1000.00 cad for 8nts.