Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Deciding Between All-Inclusives (Jamaica vs. Punta Cana)

Old Apr 19th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I know that this forum is pretty much already posted but all the messages that I have been reading are pretty dated so I'd really like to get some updated advice, recommendations. My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in October and we're trying to decide between Couples Negril, Couples Swept Away and Excellence Punta Cana. We love traveling and would be open to doing things outside of the resort (exploring ruins, zip-lining, etc...) I would love to hear what others who have visited these resorts recently (within the past year) and what you have to say about them. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 05:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not really any ruins to explore in either of those places. You may want to consider Mexico's Riviera Maya area where you could do all the things you listed.There are many great adults only AI in that area.
Look into Secrets Maroma Beach, the Royal Playa del Casrmen and the Iberostar Paraiso Grand.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 06:08 AM

I know there are zip line trips in Punta Cana.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 08:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
IMO there's a lot more to do in Jamaica than in the DR. I'd pick Couples Negril. Negril is fabulous and would make for a very romantic honeymoon setting imo. I don't think there are any "ruins" specifically but there are plenty of activities and day trips you can do around the island with a driver and activities right in Negril like the glass bottom boats, snorkeling, cliff jumping, etc.

Disclaimer, no I have not visited any of the resort in the past year but I have been to Jamaica three times, Dominican Republic twice to have a general impression of what they're all about.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 08:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Trip Advisor has a really active forum for Negril. You can read about the resorts there.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 08:26 AM
KVR

There are ziplines at the YS Falls outside of Negril and a zipline park near Ocho Rios in Jamaica. Ruins are in Mexico as well as many more options for zip lining. Been to Mexico several times over 10 years. Recently in December, 2010 and Negril once 2006. Been researching going to Ocho Rios this year and compared to Mexico I am getting sticker shock. Much better bang for your buck in Mexico, but if I want to see a certain destination, looks like I'm going to have put forth the funds.

Been to the DR once many years ago and didn't like enough to return. Look at the reviews on Trip Advisor. I believe Excellance is located in the middle of nowhere and the beach isn't that great, but check again if your interested in the resort. If you want DR I would look closer at the Majestic instead.

Whatever desitination you choose, October is prime hurricane season. You'll need to buy the trip/hurricane insurance. Otherwise, go to a different Island like Aruba, Curacao, St. Lucia, Barbados, St. Vincent or Greneda as better options weather wise, but still no guarentee.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 08:49 AM

I agree with other posters. Negril will be better. Check out Island Routes Tours as they offer alot of off resort things to do. As far as resorts, if your budget allows check out Sandals Negril or other Sandals resorts in Jamaica.