Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Day trips from Barbados to another island- maybe Grenada?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! Is it possible to do a day trip to another island while we are in Barbados on our honeymoon in November? Are there any short ferry rides or flights you would suggest? Advice? Thanks all!
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Carib_Ian

Definitely do a day trip to the Tobago Cays in the Grenadines. Flights leave from Barbardos everday to Union Island.Depending on where you are staying, your hotel may be able to arrange it.

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 02:14 PM

Check the status of wherever you think you want to go - after the hurricane damage which Grenada seriously sustained, I don't think they will be ready for visitors in November. Last I read, some of the resorts were hoping to open soon but they would only be housing workers helping out in the reconstruction.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 07:12 PM

I second Carib Ian's advice for a day trip to the Grenadines and the Tobago Cays. Here's the website of one company in Barbados - I am sure there are others. http://www.barbados.org/tours/stjames/grenad.htm.

You could arrange the island hop yourself (SVG Air or Air Mustique) and then go off with Captain Yannis http://www.captainyannis.com/.

My advice would be to do the tour rather than arrange things independently because in the past year or so SVG/Mustique have been getting pretty loosey goosey with their schedules. You might arrive and depart on time or, just as likely, hours later.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 03:13 PM

My husband and I are taking a day trip to the Grenadines from St Lucia in December. A representative from sunlinktours told me that the damage to the Grenadines was minimal, although I did read that a hospital on Union Island had the roof torn off. If you are only looking for a day tour like we are, doesn't matter that much about the resorts.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 03:49 PM

I agree with brenandg. The Grenadines had very little damage with Union taking the brunt (the hospital roof, Lambi's restaurant). Everything's bck to normal as far as the tourist biz is concerned.