Reload this Page >

Day Trip to Cuba from Jamaica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 04:01 AM
Kim

Has anyone gone on a day trip to Cuba from Jamaica? Or is that something to stay away from? Would appreciate any info (transportation, prices, times, etc.).

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 12:33 PM
ohliz

Sorry, I haven't, but all the tour places in Montego Bay seem to offer trips over and back. To give you an idea: <BR> <BR>http://www.tropicaltours-ja.com/hav_overnight.htm <BR> <BR>http://www.tropicaltours-ja.com/santiago_trips.htm <BR> <BR Liz

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 01:51 AM
tivertonhouse

KIM:Yup, it's EASY to set up in MoBay,but go for 3 days if you can and try to avoid Varadero and the tourist beaches and head for Santiago and some of the older colonial towns instead. <BR>Food can be problemmatic but people and vistas surely make amends for it.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 02:57 AM
anon

For awhile at the beginning of the year immigration and the Administration were really pushing and fining those citizens who traveled to Cuba even from a foreign destination. Haven't seen too many reports of that lately but they are occupied elsewhere. Just be aware that you are subject to hefty fines when returning to the US if you are one of those spotted.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 08:02 AM
ohliz

According to my Lonely Planet book (sorry Fodors), it is not illegal for US citizens to travel to Cuba, only to spend money there. The tour places in Montego Bay are package deals - you pay for everything in Jamaica so you are not breaking the law. <BR> <BR>Now of course you'll probably spend money in Cuba but I highly doubt US agents are following you around to see if you buy a beer. <BR> <BR>Wasn't Congress debating lifting that ban this session anyway? <BR> <BR Liz