curtain bluff debriefing part one

Old Jan 25th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
curtain bluff debriefing part one

Juat returned from one week at Curtain Bluff on the southern side of Antigua. Given lack of talk about this place I think it may be of interest.
Getting there: apparently there is a nonstop from Philadelphia, otherwise all connect thru San Juan from everywhere. Our flight arrived at 8 pm, AA.
Staff; probably the best we've been exposed to anywhere in the Carribbean, including Caneel, Little Dix, Cap Juluca, Carl Gustaf. No "attitude" problems, just very pleasant, helpful, efficient people who were definitely not working on "island time" while we were there. The great people were also off the resort, which leads one to suspect that Antiguans are generally very likable people. We had a wonderful driver, Morris Davis, who was probably the most articulate guide we have ever toured with on any island.
Facilities: We stayed in the lowest priced rooms, which were very adequate. They are directly on the beach, thirty yards from the water. Given the location on a peninsula, with prevailing winds blowing through the room, no A/C is necessary, and is not provided. The view from the room was a 9. Higher up the bluff the views were extraordinary, but, then, given the price, they should be. It should be noted that as the rooms progress farther out on the peninsula, the bluff rises to about forty feet above sea level, and climbing to these wonderful rooms may not be easy for anyone with bad wheels or engines. The rooms up the bluff have large showers, jacuzzis, teak furniture, and generally are more nicely furnished.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 05:21 PM

Great report! Have always wondered about Curtain Bluff but was turned off by the lack of a/c. How was the food?
Did you go over to Carylse Bay? How would you compare the rooms to CJ? Thanks
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

a/c unnecessary due to super trade winds across peninsula where rooms located. Food approx equal to Caneel Bay, ok, not gourmet, but three meals/day plus more in between.CJ has best rooms we've ever had in Carribean, but high end at CB were spectacular. Basic room very adequate and on beach. Did not see Carlyle. The island was beautiful.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 11:27 AM

Wow - thank you so much traveldoc. We will be going to curtain bluff in May and am encouraged by your review. I was not planning on having my husband pack a coat. approximately how many men did wear them to dinner? did you sail on Sentio? How about any trips to town? Worth the time? More information please! Did you ever bother to order room service? Jeannette
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Next visit I'll take a jacket, tho not absolutely required. Definitely take a tour of the island, Nelson's Dockyard and Shirley Hgts for the fantastic view. St. John was a touristy cruise stop, nothing to commend it. Room service is superb, quick, anything you want. Sentio is beautiful, plan to go next visit, people said it was great for the sunset cruise.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 11:21 AM
bosco

Traveldoc, thanks for the information. My husband and I are also going to CB in May. I'm glad to hear that the place was not stuffy as some earlier reports indicated. Anything we shouldn't miss? Snorkeling trips, etc. Also how is the beach? Is is small?