Cure for post-vacation depression

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just back from 7 heavenly days in St. John. What do the rest of you do to salve your troubled soul when you wake up in the morning and find that you are, gasp!, home?
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:20 AM

Start planning my next trip!!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:21 AM

The only way I can keep the blues at bay is to immediately start planning my next trip. Even if it's mostly a dreamtrip, I spend time every day browsing here and looking at resort and villa websites. Pathetic, eh? But the only way I can really adjust to being back at home is to start making preliminary plans for my next trip, even if it's a year in advance. My husband and I splurged on a big trip to the Caribbean in June 2003 when we got married, and I haven't been back since then. However, almost as soon as we returned to the States I booked a trip for November 2004. I've been in countdown mode a long time, but knowing for the past year that I'll be in Nevis in November has eased the ache considerably. And now that we've recovered from our big splurge last year, I have a couple of more small trips to plan for 2005. I'm really at my happiest when planning trips!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:32 AM

Book the next one
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:58 AM
caribtraveler

I agree! Start planning the next one!
It doesn't completely get rid of the depression, but it definitely helps!
I am so happy when I plan, although I do get on my husband's last nerve with my incessant vacation talks.

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 10:22 AM

here's a different slant on what people have said above: plan a vacation in another part of the world so you can visit TWO Fodor's boards and dream about TWO places--the one you've been to and the one you're going to. We just got back from 23 days in Australia so we haunted the Oz Fodor's board before and now after, too, to prolong our joy. We also just booked a trip in March to Grand Cayman with the help from people on this board, so I visit here to get updates. I am very thankful that I found these boards!
Sally in sunny Seattle
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 01:33 PM

Book the next one and lots of shopping!

Peace, Greenie =)
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 04:30 PM

My son made a screen saver with pictures of our trip to Negril. Everytime I get wishful I just pop in a reggae cd & let the screensaver roll. For a fun reggae cd you might try "Is It Rolling Bob". It's a reggae tribute to Bob Dylan. I think you can hear sample clips on amazon.com.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 04:35 PM

write travel report.
cook caribbean food.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 04:38 PM

We usually buy a CD of some of the music that we hear wherever we are, so we put that on the first morning and we promptly bring our film in to be developed. We also sit down the first evening home and watch our video of the vacation.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 04:49 AM

ejcrowe,caribtraveler & everyone~It is so wonderful to read your posts, I too read & browse here everyday. It took me quite a long time to locate travel message boards, (I knew they had to be online somewhere) but it's great to hear from others passionate about Caribbean travel. I am also at my happiest when immersed in trip planning.
At 46 years old I'm starting to truly dream about living the "Jimmy Buffet" lifestyle....lol (I'd better hurry right..lol)
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 10:25 AM

We do our bit for the guests at The Reef by sending frequent e-newsletters with the latest happenings, but we are going to significantly upgrade that soon with a high-end Webcam system that will include audio so you can here the sound of the surf

If you don't like that sound, go to the website for the Barefoot Man and you can listen to his music while you work

... until next time you are in the islands