Search

Curacao vs Barbados

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2015, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curacao vs Barbados

My wife and I are planning a trip in October and our daughter, mid-20s is joining us. Have narrowed it down to two islands. Either way, want AI, no car, pool over beach, places to see while on vacation. Also appreciate entertainment at resort. We like to relax and enjoy the sun, but not for an entire day or week.
Help
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 11:06 AM
KVR

We have been to Curacao, but not Barbados. If you want AI, Barbados is the better option of the two just because it has more of them then Curacao does. We've been to many AI resorts. The better options for AI is Mexico, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic. We did not do AI in Curacao because the options were so poor. We haven't been to Barbados, because the AI's resort there are 2 to 3 time more expensive and/or lacking compared to Mexico, Jamaica and the DR.

Curacao is not a popular destination as it is very difficult to get there from the US. The Island does not boost good long stretches of beaches. Instead there are several coves/inlets on the West side of the Island. You need a rental car and a good map to find them or take a beach hopping tour. The sand is also made up of crushed coral, so water shoes are needed.
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Been to Aruba, Cancun and Bahamas, staying at Riu Resorts each time. You can't go wrong with them. Not interested in visiting an island where you can walk anywhere within the resort, but can not walk outside the resort. Was looking at Turtle Beach Resort in Barbados as more interested in AI
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

So in the end we went to Curacao. What a beautiful island. We did not need a car to get around. The resort offered a free shuttle to town, plus the local bus was outside our resort. The resort had 5 restaurants to choose from and nightly entertainment. Yes AI is a great choice in Curacao.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 06:34 AM

hey Barbados is wonderful! Getting around the island is pretty easy if you rent a car!
Maybe you can email me so I can help you out !
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 11:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
veerem: welcome to Fodors.

>>Maybe you can email me so I can help you out !<<

Not really necessary since, if you read the OP's post (directly above yours) the trip is over and done with.