Search

Curacao

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2010, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curacao

Anyone going to Curacao this year? Last year we had so much fun!!
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 07:30 AM

YES I WILL!!! We will be going as a family in september, So excited!
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 01:35 PM

No, but in the 3 years we wnt out of 5 it always got better. By that I mean new restaurants and now I read on this Forum the Hyatt finally opened. The advantage is if you made reservations awhile ago you might want to try to re-negotiate the rate. With the current US and European economies (probably 90% of their tourists0 the last few months and for sure the next 3-6 months the providers should be quite accomodation. If we were not going on a cruise to the Amazon we would be going.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 07:32 AM

I think we are going to day trip to Curacao during our honeymoon in Aruba.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 08:09 AM

How is the nightlife, town, shopping, restaurants, and day activites in Curaco? Would you recommend it for a week long vacation?
We love a boardwalk/town area with places to see and eat but also looking for an island with day excursions (hiking, deep sea fishing, eco tours, getting out in a rented jeep and exploring the island).
Is this something Curaco offers?
Thanks!
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 08:39 AM
KVR

We went to Curacao last May and it wasn't our favorite Island. Beaches are inlets/coves and made of crushed coral and not sandy. We did a beach hopping tour, an Island tour and went to the Sea Aquarium and did a introductory dive (no certification needed). The dive was the highlight of the trip. The Island is not much for hiking or eco tours. It's difficult to get to from some areas of the US. We had to fly Continental from Texas to Aruba and then take Insel Air over to Curacao. Otherwise, AA would have made us overnight in Miami. We found the downtown area to be very nice. Real department type stores and not just touritsy stuff. I loved their linens shops. We found it difficult to get around. Public transportation is lacking. You do need a rental car and a good map.

I think Curacao is a great day trip from Aruba, but not a full weeks vacation at least for us. We like to be busy and adventurous on vacation, and found other Islands to be more accomendating for that.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 01:19 AM

The wife and I just got back from a week in Curacao (our third trip in 5 years). Will post some thoughts soon.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 06:26 PM

We're going in October and can't wait.
Read everything we can about Curacao and the resort we're staying at and still can't wait.
We always go with open hearts and open minds and try to experience everything each new destination has to offer.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 04:52 AM

My sister and I stayed at Hotel Kura Hulanda which was walking distance to all the shops and restaurants in Willamsted. The hotel was wonderful and charming with authentic cottages.Good restaurants and pools also. My favorte thing was eating all of our meals outdoors and enjoying a cocktail in their pleasant courtyard with live music some nights. I would recommend this hotel highly. They have a sister resort on the beach (about a 25 minute hotel shuttle) which is also very nice. The people on the island were so friendly, and I think the island is desperate for tourists. They are trying to promote more visitors to the island. For scenic beauty it is not one of my favorite islands, but I'm glad I went.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 11:51 AM

The Marriott resort there is very nice. There is great snorkeling right outside the back door of the hotel and when we were there the restaurants in the reosrt were very good.

We are planning to go back in March.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 01:00 PM

Having snorkeled in front and around the Marriott I would have to be honest and sat anneherrod got lucky. That area is considered fair to poor. But all is not lost, at all. About 20-25 minutes from the Marriott on the West End there are a series of 6-8 bays with 1/4-1/3 mile formed by boulders surrounding each bay. Along the sides of the boulders about 250 ft. from the shore you begin to see some decent coral and numerous colored sea anenomes and a fair number of species of fish. In the 3 times we have been there the visibility has been 20-30 ft. which is fairly good, not terrific. If you go you need a rental car ($60/day with gas and insurance-in the roundabouts in the more traffic'ed areas the locals drive a bit carelessly and there is the chance of a minor fender bender or bump and run).
As you get to Klien Knip on the WEST END you will see a sign for Captain Goodlife. He offers to take you out in his speedboat to 2-3 different snorkel locations not accessably from shore and if he is confident you are comfortable you tell him to come back in 30-40 minutes. He will often say 1 hour, but that is too long IMO, and then he will take you to another good spot. He now probably charges $25/person for 2.5 hours and going to 3 good spots. He also, with his wife, cook a lunch but it cost $15 in late 2007 so he must be at $20+ but it is very..very good.Enjoy. Under the Arch's there are 2 good Italian restaurants that are medium priced. A favorite of ours is a FFrench/Swiss place called Le Rousse not to far from Breezes. The only places we did not enjoy were the Portofino in the Marriott and Ft. Nassau adequate food at high prices.But as mentioned in the Hura hotel there are a few good restaurants like the ObservatoryLab is very good to excellent but the tab for 2 will be $150 with a moderate bottle of wine or a few drinks, One other near Breezes that is of lighter fare is Avalon, but go early (arrive by 7) because latter it can be hopping with singles.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 05:32 PM

Check out our trip report to Curacao this past February.

As a beach nut, can't say Curacao was one of our favorites, as their beaches were mostly small coves with broken coral, and most unfortunately, over-used and laden with trash.

But we must say the food and hospitality that we experienced there were very good.

http://www.fodors.com/community/cari...t-feb-2010.cfm
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 06:14 PM

Someone told me the diving/snorkeling near on the isalnd and especially near the Marriott is sub par since some of the major hurricanes in the last 5 years. We were there a bit over 5 years ago and it was brilliant fish etc to keep one occupied for hours!! A shame if not so any more...
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 02:48 AM

annesherrod is correct about what was one reason the snorkeling around the marriott is now not good but it is still good 20 minutes further north as I mentioned along the boulders that form the numerous bays. To really enjoy curacao I cannot imagine not having a retental car for 3-4 days of a 7-8 day stay. Taxi's are quite expensive and limit your options of going to the Sea Aquarium on the EAST END, into town (not a major event but worth a few hours late in the afternoon), eating out, snorkeling the WEST END and my wife for one enjoyed the ostrich farm. Also a cocktail, not dinner, up at Ft.Nassau is a lovely vista as well.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 05:49 AM
cd

Do we need an advanced reservation for a rental car? Or can we just get it that day? We will be there for a day off a cruise.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Advance reservation is always beneficial but it is possible to rent a car when you are.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 07:21 PM

If Enterprtise/Alamo is there now why not make a reservation, You might want to check Hertz and Avis when you arrive but i am quite sure evebn if you ask for their best rate for a compact-avoid a sub-compabt,their rates will be higher unless thay are hurting for businesss. You often can get a 10% discount if you are a member of AARP or AAA.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 03:30 PM

Will book for January!!!!!