Search

Culebra/Vieques

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 02:17 PM
brieanna76

Culebra/Vieques

We are looking for a unique vacation. We considered the Caribbean or Hawaii, but there's so much info it can be overwhelming. I watched a Travel Channel program on Culebra Island and thought it looked great. Vieques sounded great too but the unrest surrounding the US bombing/training seem frightening. I know the accommodations on these tiny islands are luxury but there are limited travel reports available. Does anyone have any recent info on either of these islands? Thanks for your help.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 05:15 AM
cj

Have no info on Vieques, but we went to Culebra a couple of years ago. You're right -- not much in the way of luxury, but depending on what you're looking for, this could be as good choice. Our accomodations were rather rustic, but livable, the island's vegetation is not lush and green like St. John, but there is great snorkeling here, and very few tourists. I got the impression that most of the visitors on the island were those who came in by yacht to get provisions and visit hangouts like Mamacita's and the Dinghy Dock. People very friendly. As far as shopping for food, you need to be patient -- availability is limited since mostly everything comes from PR on ferries once or twice a week, and you have to be aware that the Culebrans take the concept of "siesta" very seriously. This might sound negative, but it's not, really. It's more realistic. Culebra is not for someone looking to be papmered, or someone who wants a golf vacartion or shopping vacation. But if you want quiet and solitude and beauty (this, especially underwater!) This might be for you. I have very find memories of this island. I don't think it will ever become a really popular vacation destination, but that's fine! It's great just the way it is! <BR>

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 05:17 AM
cj

I meant "FOND" memories! <BR>

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 08:53 AM
Adrienne

There are villa rentals available on Culebra, if you are not pleased with the accomodations you are finding. Check out culebraislandrealty.com

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Louis

Culebra and Vieques are very similar islands that offer modest priced vaction opportunities in a pleasant friendly environment. The Navy is not a problem when they are not running exercises. Unforunately, all of the good beachs are on their property and you need a car to get there. Of the two, we tended to like Culebra better. However neither of the destinations are in the luxury catagory. For Culebra you can get the best information from http://www.culebra.org. Things are accurately represented. There is a place to stay on Flamenco Bay one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean and it is a state park. That is the only place I know of that is directly on the beach. When we were last there we stayed at the Tamarindo Estates. Here you had to walk down the hill to get to the water where there is a small rocky beach. Our only complaint was that Tamarindo was down a mile or so of rough road from a paved highway. If you would indicate what your daily budget is for everything and what your expectations are, one would know whether these islands were a good choice or it others would be better.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Diane

We spent a long weekend on Vieques (after I'd done a week-long sales meeting in San Juan) and it wasn't exactly what I'd call "luxury." On the other hand, it was laid back, we had magnificent beaches practically to ourselves, and found two excellent restaurants. Such a totally different experience from high-energy San Juan. If you need someplace to just chill out, this is it. We stayed at the Trade Winds in Esperanza. It was basic, cool and quiet, and about $75/night. Their restaurant is very good. The best restaurant on the island is at the fanciest lodging choice (which I would love to stay, but it is simply too costly for my pocketbook) Inn on the Blue Horizon. The Cafe Blu is the name of the restaurant. Check out www.biobay.com and the links from there (one takes you to a listing of available hotels/guesthouses, etc.) We thought Esperanza was preferable to Isabell II area. The little airport (if you take the little plane from San Juan) is a gem. A cab will take you anywhere inexpensively. You can arrange for a rental car to be brought to your hotel. It is really necessary to explore the island. ALso, make a reservation to visit the bioluminescent bay (at night). Totally the most incredible field trip I've ever taken in my life. Plan to swim or you'll be kicking yourself forever after!

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 04:18 PM
Diane

Hacienda Tamarindo is next to Inn on the Blue Horizon and has the same fabulous view. Not as costly, but we met people who were repeat visitors, and enjoyed it.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 04:00 AM
brieanna76

Thanks for all the tips. The Inn on Blue Horizon looked great, but you're right, the price seems a little high for where you are and what you get. But it is nice and some place we would consider if it's just the 2 of us. We thought about bringing a teenage daughter along, but this is still not certain. As far as price, well I guess that depends on what we get. We'd like to keep it down below $300 a day including meals and activities for the 3 of us. I understand dining options are limited on these islands and I don't want to cook while on vacation. Renting a villa was a consideration until we realized there were so few resturants. We thought about trying to hire a cook but I dont' know if we can do this on the budget mentioned. We looked at the island due to their location and lack of glitzy tourist attractions. We don't care for a nightlife of drinking, dancing or gambling and we don't go on vacation to shop or go to fancy resturants. We prefer to soak up sun, swim, snorkel, read, see local sites but basically relax. Our daughter is pretty laid back as well, she enjoys the same things and at 13 can entertain herself. Would these be safe places for her to go to the beach in front of our hotel alone? She's pretty independent, but she's never been out of the country.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 04:16 AM
Sunny

The Inn on the Blue Horizon is a gem. It is expensive, relative to the rest of the island, but I felt it worth every penny. It is NOT a place to bring your children. They would not be welcome and would not be comfortable. It is a great place for grown-ups! <BR> <BR>The rest of the island is run-down in a charming, dusty, Caribbean sort of way. The beaches are very nice, but you need to drive to all of them. The hotels are not on the beach. <BR> <BR>The BioBay trip is really one of a kind. You are encouraged to swim in the pitch black bay (it is night) with every movement (yours or the aquatic life) lighting up the water. Pretty wild...

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 06:03 PM
Louis

Considering your last post, I think either island would be a good start. These are very safe islands that have very real world characteristics. Depending on whether are going in high or low season makes a difference in the cost but you will not find anything else of this honest quality for a lower price. What you will find here is real people and real nature without over development. A lot of places you stay have an ability for you to prepare meals but that to us is of little value other than to have a few snacks around and if you want you can cook in. It is nice to have things around for morning breakfast. Then you can lunch out and have dinner out. Food cost out on both islands are very modest and of good quality. We did boil the water when we washed dishes and drank bottled and used bottled water for all of the other essentials. We followed the normal precautions when out of the country or even in some parts of the USA. The world is changing and not for the better. In both islands you would do best with a car. You don't need a jeep and one with good springs would be better. Nobody wants you to go off of normal roads. A car should run about $55 a day. You need this to go to eat or go to the beach or go to explore or to go for supplies no matter which island you are on. When we stayed at the Tamarindo Estates we did not know that there were places to stay on Flamenco Bay but I still would choose the other but it is a toss up. Otherwise I would stay right down town. We ate most every morning at Mamacitas and a lot of evening meals there. We are talking about Culebra. On Vieques, I will suggest a very interesting place nowhere near the water but it is like an old plantation house with a very nice pool and the headquarters of the bio bay thing. They use electric boats without noise it was a lovely experience and if she snorkels it will blow your daugter's mind. They are walking distance down to a small settlement on the water where there are good and inexpensive places to eat and young people around. The place I am talking about is La Casa del Frances. You can find some info about them at http://www.enchanted-isle.com/lacasa. <BR> <BR>Considering air fares-these isles are the least expensive destinations for you in the Caribbean as compared to other areas. It you like this, your next step is either BVI or Harbor Island in the Bahamas. We are talking about real world places that do not cost an arm and leg where one can really enjoy nature. On Harbor Island I am talking about a B&B not one of the expensive places. This is another place where your daughter would have a ball. Particularly if you went to church on Sunday.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 06:06 PM
Mariarosa

Hi Brienna! Culebra and Vieques are two of my favorite places. However to say that they are not luxurious is an understatement. Places to stay are quite basic. the cheaper ones have the charm of a motel. However, the beaches are superb (as good as the more expensive St. John or the BVI's) for a cheaper price and swimming in the Biolumniscent Bay in Vieques is one of my most memorable experiences ever. <BR> <BR>Here are a few websites: <BR>www.vieques-island.com/ <BR>www.enchanted-isle.com/ <BR>www.culebra.org/ <BR>www.culebra-island.com/ <BR> <BR>In Vieques I stayed at a bed and breakfast called "Sea Gate" run by some crazy woman from California and her mother. It was $45 per night for a one-bedroom apartment (bedroom, kitchentte, small sitting area, bathroom, picnic table outside and hamock). It included a hearty breakfast of pancakes, coffee and juice. Again, "not luxurious" is an understatement, but it was great value for natural beauty. <BR> <BR>Renting a car is a must - there are no cabs, only "publicos" and they stop working at 6:30 PM. Make sure to reserve a car before leaving home.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 03:32 AM
Brieanna

Thank you so much for your posts. These islands sound like they are just what we are looking for. I feel a lot better about taking our daughter. Again, thank you for helping us make a decision.