cuban cigars

May 25th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Pete

cuban cigars

Do any of the Islands allow tourists to bring cuban cigars into the US? Specifically St. Lucia

May 25th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Christie

It depends. United States' territories and posessions are included in the trade embargo. Remember that St. Lucia is part of the United States Virgin Islands, so the answer there is NO. Same goes for Puerto Rico, St. John, and St. Thomas.

While on Antigua, my husband enjoyed some Cuban cigars and we both drank Cuban rum. Since Antigua is an independent nation, there was no embargo.

May 25th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Mariarosa

Hi Pete! As far as I know, it doesn't make a difference what island you get your Cuban cigars from, (whether it is St. Lucia, the Dominican Republic, Antigua, etc.), the problem will be when you enter US territory, if US customs officials find the cigars, they will keep them. However, they may not find the cigars.

Christie - St. Lucia is not part of the USVI.

May 25th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Joe

We have brought them in St.Lucia and in Jamaica and brought them into the US. Just dont get caught.

May 25th, 2001, 08:38 PM
Christie

Thanks, Mariarosa! My brain was not working!

Exactly, don't get caught with them. Not only will they be confiscated, but you will also be fined for violating the embargo, and I recall the fine was steep.

May 26th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Barbara

it's not us in the islands that stops you from bringing cuban cigars into the USA. it is your own USA government

May 26th, 2001, 01:29 PM
uncle sam

Barbara, are you from the U.S. ?

Search this Thread