Smell of sulfur

May 22nd, 2001, 08:24 PM
Tama

Smell of sulfur

We are traveling to St. Lucia in 2002 to get married. We heard from a friend who just got back that the smell of sulfur was overwhelming. Can anyone confirm or deny this? This is the first we've heard about it.

Also....does anyone have any information on Stonfield Villas. We've mostly seen information on Jalousie, Ladera and Anse.

May 23rd, 2001, 05:45 AM
Lori

The only place that smells of sulphur is at the sulphur springs/volcano that we visited on our trip. No smell anywhere else on St. Lucia. Have a great time, St. Lucia is beautiful!

May 23rd, 2001, 10:19 AM
Lizzie

Lori speaks the truth - the only time I smelled sulfur was while flying over the springs in the helicopter to the hotel. I actually thought it was someone in the helicopter... then I looked down!

L

May 23rd, 2001, 10:24 AM
Kim

Lori is right.

May 23rd, 2001, 10:31 AM
warren grymes

My wife and I stayed at Ladera in May of last year. We were told that if the wind blew from behind the Sulfur Springs towards us that we may encounter the smell. It either never did blow our way or the scent was not that powerful because we did not encounter any problems with a Sulfur smell. Ladera as quoted in one brochure is "not a place to take babies but a place to make babies" It's a great place for a honeymoon.

May 24th, 2001, 05:23 AM
Kay

Tama:

I stayed at Ladera on my honeymoon last summer and we never did smell any sulfur. Warren's remark about Ladera being a place"to make babies but not take babies" is so TRUE (very very romantic)

May 25th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Kay

Did smell some "sulfur" coming from my
husband however!

May 26th, 2001, 04:20 PM
joan

Tama: We rented a villa last summer, located above Ladera, closer to the volcano. As Warren wrote, when the wind was right, we did smell the sulphur. But it was never for long and not unbearable, since the wind tends to blow in from the coast and up the mountainside, rather than the other way around. Stonefield Villas, by the way, was our first choice. The "Orchid" villa is supposed to have the best view (read that in a magazine). They looked adorable, but were booked for a wedding the week we wanted. We saw them from the water, they are perched right on the mountainside, closer to the water than Ladera, but not down on the beach like Jalousie.

Where did your friend stay?