Search

Cuba questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cuba questions

Our family (my husband and I + our 20 and 22 y/o kids are going to Cuba on Jan. 2 for 2 wks. and NOT on an organized tour. We have all the right papers and 5 nights in Havana. I have not booked anything else yet. Questions: We are thinking of Scuba Diving in Maria La Gorda, Where should we stay there? How is the Scuba service? Where should we stay in Cienfuegos and in Trinidad? What are you experiences with taking the Viazul bus system?
Tips in general? Our son is fluent in Spanish. Thanks
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 11:46 AM

Maria La Gorda was good for me years ago no recent experience.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gre...ving-cuba.html will have latest best info always found recos
and transport from driver/guides way better than bus there.
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 05:08 PM

Can you share how you can go not on an organized tour? Would love to go!
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

On the internet, I found a local religious organization (Jewish) that does charity work in Cuba. I contacted them and for a donation + commitment to contact the community and offer them some services (I'll teach Hebrew and we will bring them some goods), we received a certificate that we can go. We will take pictures showing our services.
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the scuba suggestion and finding places to stay.
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 03:43 PM

Viazul is a very good bus service. It's one of the few gems of Cuba that actually works on time and as it's supposed to. The only thing is that the drivers love to keep the AC up as high as it will go. So bring a sweater or sweatshirt. When the Viazul bus arrives in a town, you'll find many local Cubans are there to meet the bus and offer services, especially the local Casa Particular owners. A Casa Particular is the Cuban version of a Bed & Breakfast and it's my preferred way to stay anywhere in Cuba. Now, the thing to rembember about Casa's is that they price they quote is Per Room, and not a per person price. So with two to a room you're fine.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 07:40 PM

Mi_kel:

We went through the same drill to get to Cuba. We carried 40 pounds of critical meds(diabetes, heart, pulmonary, etc) to the beleaguered Jewish community. A travel agent we know who carries a "favored person" status with the Cuban government made the arrangments. We flew non-stop from L.A. on a chartered TACA flight. Everything worked smoothly. The agent had also arranged for lodgings and a guide who would get a car to drive us around. To do so, I only had to show my "certificate" and my California driver's license to the rental agent office in Habana.

The guide, Omar Gamez, was beyond excellent, an English teacher who may still have the same email address as before:
[email protected]

In less than 10 days we covered a goodly chunk of Havana and vicinity, the beaches to the east, Hemingway's Estate, and lots of walking around town..etc.

These are scanned pix (before I went digital in 2003). Any questions, pleaase ask. We enjoyed every minute of our visit as I'm sure you will. I would advise you not to take on too much domestic travel..can be very tiring. Where will you be coming from?

Stu Tower , L.A.

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuartto...LS5h4e86MvMIw#

Our hotel I can highly recommend, <b>The Conde de la Villanueva</b> (see pix)
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Canuck and Tower. I am pretty new at this so I don't know how to respond to you individually. The info. is very helpful. We have a hotel in Havana already but decided to wait to get Casa Paticulares in Maria La Gorda, Cienfuego and Trinidad. I hope it's the right decision. We are leaving in 2 days! Happy New Year.
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 11:01 AM

Mi_Kel: Have a wonderful visit. It will be most memorable, I'm sure. Please write a trip report when you return. Safe journey!

stu tower
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 07:22 AM

We stayed at Casa Munoz in Trinidad. Do go there! It was recommended to us and we are very happy to pass on the favour. The information above about many Cubans meeting the bus and offering accomodation is correct. It is unlikely you would be guaranteed a room in Casa Munoz just by showing up. It is also true as you may read on Trip Advisor that other Trinidadians will try and "divert " you from this property. We were sitting talking to the owner when some other guests arrived who had been told outside his front door that he was full!
We were there in November 2010 and really enjoyed our stay.