Cuba!

Dec 27th, 2017, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Cuba!

We are going to Cuba in March, 2018 and would LOVE some information on good areas to stay and nice, clean, sandy beaches.

Actually any info on going to Cuba would be awesome.
But most on the best side of the island to find good places to stay (Air B&B?) and
beaches that aren't too tourist-y!!

Thank you, Anne and Conrad
Dec 27th, 2017, 01:32 PM

How long are you going for, Anneandconrad? And how are you planning on getting around?

These are two things which will greatly influence what you can see and do.

There is no need to use Air B&B in Cuba unless you want to -there are many people who take guests into their homes on a B&B/guesthouse basis - these are called casas particulares, and there are a number of agencies who advertise them or you can use TA to find names in the places you want to go to.

Here's one example:

https://www.havanacasaparticular.com

Guide books also make suggestions as to the "best" ones in a particular place.

As for beaches there are some around Havana, particularly to the west, which you can get to by taxi, bus or shared taxi which in Havana cost 50c per person per journey.

if you have time to go further afield, the beach on the coast near Trinidad is lovely with cheap loungers and parasols, lovely seas, and chaps who come round with pina colada every so often. We got there in a shared taxi but there is a HOHO bus that goes there too. Also the caya di Santa Maria in the north is stunning but you'll probably need a taxi from Remedios to get there.

Very often your casa owner will know someone who knows someone, but you can probably do just as well going to the tourist office and asking them to organise something for you. There do tend to be quite a few different offices though [in Trinidad we counted 5 or 6] and each of them do something slightly different from the others; it can be frustrating finding out which one does what.

probably at this stage your best bet will be to get hold of a good guide book or three, and/or do some research on the internet, and if you want to learn what not to do, you could read my TR [just click on my screen name].

Finally, I'm assuming that you are not US citizens. if you are not, there are no special restrictions on your visiting Cuba, save the need to get a tourist card before you get there. If you are from the US you need to comply with certain US imposed restrictions about which I know very little - you'll need to do some special research about that.

Good luck!