Search

Cruising for the first time

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 01:40 PM
PJK
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruising for the first time

My husband and I are avid Fodorites, though mostly from the European board. For reasons I won't go into, we have decided to do a Caribbean cruise. We have always planned and executed our own trips, and I will admit to being a bit dubious about being part of a herd. We have been to Cayman, but again on our own. Who has advice for how I go about finding ways to get a taste of SanJuan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and the Bahamas. Will I have to spend a fortune to get away from the dock area? When we were in Cayman, there was nothing close to where the cruise ships docked that interested me. I like to do some shopping, lots of beach walking, maybe a little snorkeling. I have already paid for the cruise and want to make the most of it for a number of reasons. I will research odds and ends myself, but I am particularly interested in knowing if anyone can tell me how difficult (and expensive) it will be to see some sights in these locations. PJK
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
San Juan has two piers. One is an easy walk right into Old San Juan and the other is a short taxi ride. You don't say how long you'll be there. You can easily walk around Old San Juan. Visit the forts, shop and take in the culture.
When we cruised into StThomad and St. Martin, we jut got a taxi and went to the beach of our choice. In St. Martin, I would recommend Orient Beach. It is on the French side of the island , so you'll see the terrain on your way. It is not at all expensive. Do not do the ship's excursions to a beach. They cost much more and you are held to their time table. It is very easy to take taxis any where you want to go on these islands.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 02:29 PM
PJK
Original Poster

Thanks Schmerl. We will only be on each island for a day. I appreciate your advice about using taxis instead of the cruise system. PJK
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:55 PM

If you're more adventurous, take the public bus. My husband and I did that on our honeymoon a few years ago in the Caribbeans. The locals were friendly, and it was cheap-- under $1. And you get to see the locals and some of the more off the tourist routes.

But don't bother w/ the public bus in San Juan, PR. They come erratically or not at all. Take a cab there. Most other islands we took the bus or shuttle.

Just ask the locals where to catch the bus and which bus to take. They'll show you, or might even ride the bus w/ you to show you (as it happened to us once in Mexico!). In Barbados, we met a friendly local guy on the beach and after some chatting, he offered to drive us around the island and show us his favorite places for several hours! We asked him if we could offer him something, and he waved it off, saying it was fun for him too. Wow, so friendly people!

Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 11:55 PM

There are 2 docks in St. Thomas also. From either you could walk downtown to shop but it's quite a hike. If you're at the main dock in Havensite there are several stores that are smaller versions of the downtown shops.
Here, your best bet is a taxi to the beach. Magens Bay is nice but if there are lots of ships in it will be crowded. My favorite beach is Sapphire Beach with a really pretty view of St. John.

Or you could take the ferry to St. John & hit the beaches there or snorkel in the underground park.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:05 AM

Hi, I topped my old post about a cruise we took from San Juan earlier this year. (We're definitely not the cruise type! )

San Juan is a very cool city, so if that is where you leave from, I recommend getting there at least one day (or more) before your cruise leaves to explore San Juan. PR is a dest. in itself, so if you can spare the time - we couldn't - stay for a few days.

Choose your hotel depending on which pier you leave from, and as schmerl said, you can see much of the city by foot.

I also agree that you should use local buses for the least expensive method of travel, or delay getting off at the ports you come into until the inital rush of people disembarking is over, and you can negotiate a better rate with the taxi drivers.

Research each island and determine what you want to do on each and do it on your own. The cost will be much less and you will not be crammed onto some "tour".

On STT, hit the beach first thing (Coki is my fave, Sapphire is nice too) and then go to Gladys' downtown for lunch and do some shopping. STT has some of the beast I've found. (Or you can go downtown first while it is cooler, and then hit the beach in the aft.)

As Carrybean mentions, get a TAXI to go into town on STT. Every time I've been there, I've seen people try to walk it, and it is hotter than 40 heIIs in Charlotte Amalie. NOT a good idea...

Where are you going in the Bahamas? GB has a HUGE straw market that is cool, there is good diving and snorkeling (but don't go with UNEXSO), and there are some very good restaurants.

St Maarten/Martin is a good place for an island tour. You can negotiate that once you arrive with a taxi driver. St Martin does have great beaches - Orient is CO.

I always advocate doing your own thing. You get a much better taste of the island you are visiting, and it's ALWAYS less expensive.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:36 AM
PJK
Original Poster

Diana, Thanks for topping you thread from earlier this year. I am getting excited. We have traveled enough that I know to just go with the flow, expect something will go wrong at some point, etc. I realize we won't get a true field for any island with our limited time, but I expect we will walk and do whatever excursions we do on our own. Thanks for the comments. PJK
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:23 PM
KVR

We've been on 2 Caribbean Cruises (didn't like either) and are scheduled for an Alaskan cruise in May.

Go to www.cruisecritic.com

Everything you ever wanted to know about cruising.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 06:36 AM

Ditto to the crusie critic referral - they have a whole section on the different ports that will give you several ideas for each stop. Also agree that you spend an extra nite or two in PR. The old town part of San Juan has a European feel to it, mixed with some Carribean flavor - great for strolling and nibbling. I love going on my own to Europe but have cruised several times as well - very different experiences but both very enjoyable.