Search

Crime on St Croix

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 12:42 PM
Jim

Crime on St Croix

The web sites are filled with reports of problems on St Croix. We have been going there for 20 years with no problems and plan to be at the Buccaneer for 3 weeks in March. Has there been a major increase in tourist crime in the last year or are the reports exaggerated?

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 02:45 PM
Ray Snow

Howdy Jim, <BR> <BR>I don't know where you read all these crime stories at, but I read the St. Croix newspaper nearly every day, and I've not seen there nor heard from my other sources of island info about an increase in crime against tourists on the island. There have always been crime problems on St. Croix, but there's crime just about everywhere in the world nowdays. By being a little careful and using common sense, you should have no problem. There have been and still are a few areas on the island which I avoid after dark. The main streets and roads and downtown Christiansted and anywhere on the Buccaneer's property should be safe for you even at night. You sure are a lucky rascal to being going to the Buccaneer for 3 weeks in March. I'm sure you will have a terrific trip. Don't worry. Be happy! If Bob Marley could say that about Jamaica, I know you can believe it about St. Croix. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR>Ray

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 03:40 AM
Judy

<BR>Hi Jim, <BR>Love St. Croix! Love it, love it, love it! <BR> <BR>BUT! I stick to main roads at night. Also, I always steer well clear of the housing project, day or night. <BR> <BR>I also always feel a little wary around Fredricksted --- nothing's ever happened, but I always feel that something could because the vagrants seem a little too interested in us. The folks at Sprat Hall (love their burger joint on the ocean) shared with us that they (along with others, churches & businesses I assume) have regularly fed the rummies in F'sted to help keep crime down. They also keep a loaded shotgun to make sure the rummies don't wander on to the property at night looking for mischief. It's been a couple of yrs. since they told us that, but I assume nothing's changed since F'sted seems much the same. <BR> <BR>All this is probably old news to you, as a repeat visitor. If there's been an increase in criminal activity, we've not noticed it. <BR> <BR>Not saying things aren't true, only that we personally have experienced 0 problems in many trips. <BR> <BR>Cheers & ready to go to STX! <BR>Judy J

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 08:31 AM
ohliz

"Don't worry. Be happy! If Bob Marley could say that about Jamaica, I know you can believe it about St. Croix. " <BR> <BR>Just FYI, "Don't Worry, Be Happy" was written by Bobby McFerrin, not Bob Marley. <BR> <BR Liz

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 08:40 AM
Cheri

Relax! We went last Dec. and before we went people had me so upset I was sure I was going to come back in a body bag! I found the people to be wonderful, everyone we encountered was very nice. We rented a car, drove all over, got lost and ended up in a not so nice area and lived to tell the tale. People just waved as we drove by. <BR> <BR>Relax, be smart and have a great time.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 10:04 AM
Joanne

Friends in St. Croix tell me that the new boardwalk extension in Christiansted has brought a _slight_ increase in purse snatching, etc. due to the fact that it attracts more tourists to that area where there is an easy escape route. Also, there have been recent bouts of the "blue flu" and a couple of shootings (local on local in the projects, I believe) which is probably what has you thinking about a crime increase. I still can't wait to get there in 12 days and I stay right on the waterfront in C'sted. Just heed the same precautions I'm sure you've always taken and there'll be no problem.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 02:01 AM
Ray Snow

<BR>Thanks Liz for correcting my stupid error on that song. I knew it was Bobby McFerrin but just said Bob Marley without even realizing it. In fact I even have the CD and play it often.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 02:20 PM
Jacqueline Bond

What is the weather like in USVI in Aug? <BR>When is the rainy season so I can avoid it?

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 04:21 PM
NANTUCKET

ST.CROIX WAS GREAT I HAVE BEEN TWICE THIS YEAR.I NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE. I STAYED AT THE FREDRIKSTED HOTEL. RIGHT ON THE OCEAN.AND WILL BE GOING BACK IN FEB 2001.