COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Cozumel Island

Old Jan 23rd, 1998, 08:16 AM
John

Cozumel Island

Does anyone know how to get from Cozumel to Isla de Pasion? It is a deserted island off the north-western coast of Cozumel. Has anyone accomplished this venture? Also, anyone been to the Punta Molas Lighthouse on the northern coast? I'm going in less than 3 weeks. All info greatly appreciated. Thanx

Old Feb 10th, 1998, 08:26 PM
Craig Bula

I the way to isla paradiso in the FODOR'S Mexico book. I myself went to Cozumel and found it the low point of my trip unless underwater. A friend went straight to Isla Mujeres and thought it was the best place she had ever been to. Also, be sure to go to the Tulum area and stay around there if possible.

Old Feb 10th, 1998, 09:21 PM
Rob Parrott

I don't have an answer to your question unforunately, but I was wondering, What kind of deal did you get on your airline ticket. Me and 8 college buddies from Colorado are meeting up their in April to do some diving. Im trying desperately to find the cheapest rate possible, as money is tight. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Have a good trip!
Rob

Old Feb 22nd, 1998, 03:14 PM
Denice

Old Apr 15th, 1998, 11:29 AM
Michelle

Sorry I didn't see your message before you left. We spent a day on the Isla de Pasion last July. We have a casual friend on the island who has friends who have a boat. After their early morning fishing trip (work for them, I presume), they picked us up and let us fish and snorkel on the way over. What we caught they prepared for lunch on the beach (there's nothing like fresh ceviche and grilled snapper). The only problem over there: tons of biting flies made it nearly unbearable to walk through the sand dunes/tall grass to the beach. I also got stung by something while laying on my stomach in shallow water. But since I hadn't been to Mexico in nearly a year, it was heaven to me. I read in Fodor's new guide to Cancun/Cozumel/Yucatan Peninsula that if you ask around town or by the pier, you can find someone willing to take you over. We tipped them (at our friend's suggestion) $20 for the day for both of us. A side note: On the way back from the island, we picked up hitchhikers. Two local boys made a mad 1/4-mile swim from shore to the boat. Seems they needed a lift back to town (what they were doing way down there is beyond me).

Old Apr 15th, 1998, 11:30 AM
Michelle

Sorry I didn't see your message before you left. We spent a day on the Isla de Pasion last July. We have a casual friend on the island who has friends who have a boat. After their early morning fishing trip (work for them, I presume), they picked us up and let us fish and snorkel on the way over. What we caught they prepared for lunch on the beach (there's nothing like fresh ceviche and grilled snapper). The only problem over there: tons of biting flies made it nearly unbearable to walk through the sand dunes/tall grass to the beach. I also got stung by something while laying on my stomach in shallow water. But since I hadn't been to Mexico in nearly a year, it was heaven to me. I read in Fodor's new guide to Cancun/Cozumel/Yucatan Peninsula that if you ask around town or by the pier, you can find someone willing to take you over. We tipped them (at our friend's suggestion) $20 for the day for both of us. A side note: On the way back from the island, we picked up hitchhikers. Two local boys made a mad 1/4-mile swim from shore to the boat. Seems they needed a lift back to town (what they were doing way down there is beyond me).